State declares war against the voracious gypsy moth

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
We had spraying all through our town in North Jersey in the 70s, anyone remember that? They sprayed all the trees with Sevin using huge high pressure hoses. Not a terribly toxic pesticide until you hose it around like that. Sheesh. Good thing technology has gone far since then and we can use a more, uh, friendly approach like pathogens that target the bugs only.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
its gonna be a real bad gypsy moth year, I went on a few calls last year where the larva ate some blue spruce bare which in return killed the trees, went on another call to check egg sacks on some oaks, stopped counting at 600 and that was only the ones I could see and that was a small property. when it gets real bad large scale sprays are a nessasarey evil.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Sue Gremlin said:
We had spraying all through our town in North Jersey in the 70s, anyone remember that? They sprayed all the trees with Sevin using huge high pressure hoses. Not a terribly toxic pesticide until you hose it around like that. Sheesh. Good thing technology has gone far since then and we can use a more, uh, friendly approach like pathogens that target the bugs only.

I remember brushing the caterpillars off my tent before packing up, they were really bad. Do these things appear in cycles? They haven't been that bad for a while.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Sue Gremlin said:
We had spraying all through our town in North Jersey in the 70s, anyone remember that?

Yeah... I was living near Toms River in 1972-73 and they were calling it a crisis of sorts. I also recall spraying... from planes or helicopters I think. There were lots of dead trees out in the woods.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Do any of you remember the "pine looper" problem we had about 8 years ago? It was really bad in Bamber. They got into everything and there were hundreds and hundreds of thousands around street lamps at night.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
bobpbx said:
Do any of you remember the "pine looper" problem we had about 8 years ago? It was really bad in Bamber. They got into everything and there were hundreds and hundreds of thousands around street lamps at night.
I remeber that, I remember walking down a road out in the woods over in the bamber area and the moths were just flying every where.