State finds gold in them there pines.....

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That might not be a bad thing in one respect. I don't see a prohibition in, say, through maintenence, the Martha Furnace is brought back to full operating life and used as an exhibit several times a year. I'd pay to see that furnace in operation--in the full bloom of her glory you might say. Put a hammer mill right across the causeway, and we are in business.

Reactions: Bachman's Ivory

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I don't think that could ever happen. There are only a small handful of people (like us) who have the slightest interest in that kind of thing. A business is not going to make any money refurbishing obscure locations like Martha because nobody would care. And that's a good thing, because if they thought they could make a buck then they'd put up a gate, pave the road and build a "Martha Visitors Center" with a big parking lot and a McDonalds.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It would be nice if the wording of the bill included a definition of 'leasee'. It casually mentions what a 501c(3) can do, but nothing else. IMO, it should be made clear who may lease, and who in the state will enforce the bill. As it is now, no one actually oversees the operation of 501c(3)'s in the state; the AG does have that responsibility and the IRS regarding tax issues. A similar bill, A763 passed the Assembly last year, primarily due to the failure of Waterloo Village, apparently it never passed the Senate.

I wonder how this will affect Batsto Village and Allaire Village and other 501c(3)'s that occupy state historic buildings? Will they now have to lease the buildings?

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
What's going on at Batsto? I haven't been there in years. Do they still run the sawmill on special occasions?

One of the last times I went there I found a tree with more hummingbirds in it than I have ever seen in one place before, including the hummingbird place at the Desert Museum here in Tucson. I had never noticed it before, and I was unable to find it again the last time I was there.