State lawmaker seeks to ban texting while walking

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
If you've driven around a city recently you'll see the problem with people texting and walking in front of traffic is real. I was in NYC about a week ago and saw several examples. I don't know how to solve this, but we don't need another law. For one thing, it would be completely unenforceable.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
What the law may do is take the burden off those that hit them.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'm sympathetic with the city drivers on this one, but you should not try to ticket this rude behavior. But drivers should band together and lean on the horn if anyone crosses in front of them against the crosswalk light while staring at a screen.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Bob, have you driven around New York City recently? I think it would have absolutely no effect. They are completely lost in their phones. The ambient noise level is already very high, and they are typically listening to music through earbuds.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I do a lot of driving. Boyd is right in NYC little phases them. The truckers on the highway though are banding together. If they see someone texting they get along side and blow their horns. I've seen this several times and seems to be effective.