Steer could still be roaming the Pines

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Well either someone stocked their freezer with some steak or he's still on the loose somewhere. I guess there's plenty of open savannah for him to graze/roam, but I would imagine a cedar swamp or thick pines/briars would be tough for him to navigate-especially if he still has his horns. That would be a hell of a head mount for the wall though.

Reminds me of a funny story. My father grew up not far from the Bordentown correctional facilty (minimum security prison) where they have a prison farm. One day a cow escaped and my dad, who was 11 at the time, went looking for it after they heard about it on the radio. Sure enough, he found it in the woods behind my grandparents' house drinking from the creek. He took the rope he'd brought with him and put it around her neck. It was a Guernsey heifer so it was pretty docile at first. However, as he was trying to lead her back something spooked her and he had the rope wrapped around his arm. He went for quite a wild ride through briars, mud, bushes, etc... before he finally got the rope loose. The State Police eventually caught her somewhere near Chesterfield, needless to say my grandmother was NOT impressed. :D

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
This silly thing has been out and about for awhile, during it's first escape
it spent some time right behind where I work in West Berlin.That I believe was it's initial escapade with local law enforcement. Now I really do not know if it's alive or not, or whether that's good or not, but it really has made the rounds.I've heard talk locally of it being back here in Waterford but...
We've got some pretty good hunters out this way. Now , I don't hunt but
here would be my moral dilemna, If I am out all day breaking my kiester for 70+/- pounds of venison and I can land a 1/2 ton of serious prime deadcow?
Well if I was the one that landed it I don't think I'd be telling.
Perhaps one day this mysterious beast will be discussed under legends & folklore.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It would be interesting to know if someone did shoot it how they would be able to get it out of the woods, and could they keep that a secret if they did?

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
TeeGate said:
It would be interesting to know if someone did shoot it how they would be able to get it out of the woods, and could they keep that a secret if they did?

Guy

Lot goes on back here folks don't know about.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Guy does have a point, the only way to get an animal that size out of the woods would be to quarter it and carry it out with the help of at least one or two other people. Of course if a portion of prime cut meat was promised to each one I'm sure they could be persuaded to keep their mouths shut.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I heard a rumor of it being in a piece of woods right behind Largo's house between Christmas and New Years.
A very unreliable source told me that one his wife's friends came up on it while riding her horse.
If I heard it from her I would believe it but I haven't seen her around to ask her.
That piece of woods was hunted hard by individuals and clubs that week becuse a lot of people were home for the holiday.
If the steer was in there, it might have died of lead poisoning.