Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
:D

167731611.jpg

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Surprised noe's pointed out it's duct tape.... used in auto racing to keep broken fibre glass bodies together....

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
There is a brand of duck tape. Are we missing something in the sign? Did anyone notice, isn't that duct [duck] tape wrapped around the stick?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It's good for a quick chuckle, but the "message" is much darker: Sincere looking young protesters are stupid and don't understand the causes they support. I don't agree with that, but to each his own...

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpbx

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Bob: long racing resume - high points: pit steward Sebring 12 hours 1955-1965, SCCA Chief Steward 1959-20??, U.S. Steward F1 1970-1991, SCCA CanAm II Series Chief Steward*, Formula Atlantic Series Chief Steward 17 years*, CART/Champ Car Judge*. Held lots of positions in Stewarding including Chairman of an International Appeals court. What a wonderful, literally, time - could never repeat it if I started out today 'cause I was extremely lucky to be at the right spot at the right time and knew the right people. Plus I never got caught in a big mess-up. *can't remember dates and all my records are at the International Motor Racing Research Center in Watkins Glen.

Reactions: 46er and Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob: long racing resume - high points: pit steward Sebring 12 hours 1955-1965, SCCA Chief Steward 1959-20??, U.S. Steward F1 1970-1991, SCCA CanAm II Series Chief Steward*, Formula Atlantic Series Chief Steward 17 years*, CART/Champ Car Judge*. Held lots of positions in Stewarding including Chairman of an International Appeals court. What a wonderful, literally, time - could never repeat it if I started out today 'cause I was extremely lucky to be at the right spot at the right time and knew the right people. Plus I never got caught in a big mess-up. *can't remember dates and all my records are at the International Motor Racing Research Center in Watkins Glen.

Wow, that is really an impressive resume. I know you have an engineering background, but stewardship commands a lot more of a knowledge base in regards to auto racing. How did you come to learn all the planning and execution of stewarding races? It appears you need to understand not only the equipment in a broad sense, but also when race rules and limits are violated, and then how to determine whether drivers should be disqualified?

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Bob, engineering experience might be helpful but certainly not a major factor. Two kinds of stewards: operating and judicial. I felt I was better at judicial. Both require a feeling for the rules (in the judicial role one must always read the book before making a decision) and a feeling for the overall picture of the competition and then the particulars of any incident. Experience is the only teacher here. Sanctioning bodies hold meetings, send bulletins, issue guidelines, hold trading sessions, etc., but it always boils down to the individual steward, how he/she thinks and acts. I've been in panel discussions on what makes a good steward. Let's discuss this further off the blog, preferably face-to-face.

Reactions: Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Let's discuss this further off the blog, preferably face-to-face.

Okay, sounds good. It's fascinating to me how much a person like you would have to know, and then make quick decisions under the stress of a race with all the people and money around--not to mention the risk of a wrong decision.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

Very impressive John. Ever work the Bridge or Lime Rock in the late 60's /early 70's? BTW 6hrs of the Glen is on FS1 now, about 1 1/2 hrs to go. I have some old video of the Double 500 at the Bridge in 1965 somewhere, Guy Frost of the Bridgehampton Racing Heritage Group used the vid on his site until they stopped vids. They still hold an event every autumn. Them were the days :)

George Wintersteen's Grand Sport. I presented a copy of it to him at the Simeone Foundation after Dr Simeone purchased the car for the museum. Have a vid of that as well.
125031326.jpg

167740975.jpg

Last edited:

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Bob: As you may know, Ro & I are moving to Huntingdon PA (near middle of the state) in late August so call me before then: 859-4011.
Two thoughts on the subject that bear putting out for all and useful in all of life's ventures: my old racing boss Berdie Martin told me, "Never make a decision until you have to make it. Sometimes events will make the best one for you." The other was, "You won't have any friends. The best you can hope for is at the end of a season you'll have won some respect."
46er: Oh boy! Knew George well. Was at Bridgehampton when it ran on the road, then on the best race course in the U.S. that had no facilities. Plenty of stories. Worked Lime Rock since it opened, knew Skip Barber from the days when he ran a formula cr. Remember one Lime Rock track owner who was said to have the biggest name in US autosports - Harry Theodorocopulus (sic?).
Last thought: Above all, it's the people across the world I met and knew, number of whom I'm still in touch with via Facebook.

Reactions: 46er

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Here are my amateur vid's ;) I drove the Bridge once; were going to a TransAm race there, it was when that series was falling apart. A guy flagged us down and told us it had been cancelled, but we drove to the track anyway. The gate was open, I had the Shelby then, so out we went. A few others had the same idea. Spent about a hour driving it until some very emotional guy came along and kicked us out. That was my last time there.