STRAIGHT ROAD ? OFF EXIT 63

B

BarryC

You have to be more specific in your subject lines, and explain more.
There are a lot of straight roads. :)
Thanks.
alfonso said:
I WAS TOLD ITS ONE OF THE OLDEST ROADS IN SOUTH JERSEY . IS THIS TRUE?

alfonso

Explorer
Oct 9, 2003
bayville
Visit site
SORRY I WAS NOT VERY SPECIFIC , I'M TALKING ABOUT THE ROAD OFF THE BARNEGET EXIT OFF THE PARKWAY. I WAS TOLD THAT ROAD WAS ONE OF THE FIRST ROADS IN SOUTHERN JERSEY.

B

BarryC

Ah. Yes, when you wrote exit 63, that rang a bell with me. That's West Bay Avenue, Route 554, if I remember correctly. But I don't know anything about it. Sounds interesting.
alfonso said:
SORRY I WAS NOT VERY SPECIFIC , I'M TALKING ABOUT THE ROAD OFF THE BARNEGET EXIT OFF THE PARKWAY. I WAS TOLD THAT ROAD WAS ONE OF THE FIRST ROADS IN SOUTHERN JERSEY.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you look in More Forgotten Town in the Refugees at Cedar Bridge chapter, you will notice that Beck mentions that this road was built by the "Order of the Crown" which means it was built when England still had influence on our country long before it was a state. And it you read my article on the search for the Cedar Bridge fire tower on the front page of this web site, you will notice the caption under the one photo mentioning that the road was called the Colonial road among others. It was a main route from Philadelphia to the shore. So your information is correct that it is an old road.

I assume you live down near Barnegat, so the next time you travel on that road to route 72, take the first left after getting on 72 and then take the first right on the dirt road which is Cedar Bridge road. There is a street sign. This is the extension of the Colonial road which was altered when 72 was built. Just a short distance on that road at the top of the hill is the remains of the Original 1924 Cedar Bridge fire tower which my article is about.

Guy

KARL

Scout
Sep 7, 2003
BARNEGAT
Visit site
the straight road.........

yep, youre right......the straight road is one of the oldest in the state......also known as route 554,or west bay avenue.....i was surprised to see that some municipality is putting up new,blue and white road signs at the entrance off route 554......but oddly enough the road signs are marking old sand roads that havent been used by vehicles in many years....including the howardsville road,and another old road,called the pancoastal highway..........does anyone have any information on when the pancoastal was used......i suspect from the name that it is of later origin.....perhaps the late eighteen hundreds......it now marks the northern boundaries of several senior communities ,including mirage and pheasant run.......on the old maps,it extends from seventy two eastward to lacey........press on......karl

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Route 539 is a relatively new road and has no historical importance. I quickly checked two maps and it was not there in 1889 but it was there in 1949. More than likely it was built in the 1920's as many such roads were built such as 72 and 70.

Guy

alfonso

Explorer
Oct 9, 2003
bayville
Visit site
if your ever out on ceder bridge or in the area , and see a tan exterra or lebaren .it me out there detecting . am always out there and , i alway have the land owners ok to be there . but if you spot me and am not to deep in the woods looking for relics . stop me and say hi. i'm always up for a good chat or to make new friends.

B

BarryC

That first link, which includes a link to the second one, is a fantastic resource!
Thanks for posting this. There's a link to page where you can view, or download, every topo map in the state, in extremely large size.
I think I'll download a bunch of them and put them on a cd. They could come in handy.
Barry
JIMBO said:
Ok I checked some old maps and no they don’t show it but they don’t show the town of Tuckerton or Straight Rd in Barnegat. I will try and check the records downtown for the original road return that should go all the way back to the original layout of the road.

I also will include some map links that I use.

http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/page1links.html

http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/MAPS.html