Strange Weather Pattern

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Went out to do something, began raining. Coming directly from the North. Odd.

weather 2.JPG

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I guess it's you and I against the world on this one Bob. Dogg and 46er could certainly be right, but I watch the radar quite a lot and this seemed very unusual to me. These storm cells were moving due South and seemed pretty detached from anything else.

You can see it for yourself by going to this link, scroll down and view the archived imagery for June 14 as shown in the screenshot below. It comes right at the end of the loop. http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?ID=DIX

It looks like counterclockwise rotation at first, but then it appears to turn and head due South.

loop.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
....I watch the radar quite a lot and this seemed very unusual to me.View attachment 3643

Thank you for that link Boyd. I watch the radar often too, and when I saw what was happening, it registered in my mind as something unusual right away, like watching a guy riding a bike down the street backwards. In your link, it is clear that there was a north-south weather track at least 200 miles long. We are all familiar with the counterclockwise rotation, but even on huge 'nor-easter's the radius is obvious.

rjb

Scout
Oct 11, 2009
south toms river nj usa
Philadelphia Airport had 8 plus inches of rain yesterday, shutting down operations today for American Airlines. I don't think we had even a quarter inch in Toms River area.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Here in Southampton Twp it was very localized - pouring in buckets in one place and sprinkle a half mile away.
All this rain - wettest June on record, regular evening thunderstorms in July - raising Cain with Ro and my botanical monitoring of a site on Parker Preserve. Site (an old borrow pit) ain't never gonna dry enough to seriously survey at this rate.