Streams in Suburbia

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was doing a plant survey in Camden County today, off Sicklerville Road. The stream appeared to be subject to some high velocity scouring at times. I had to wonder if this car got here that way. I have not lived in a true, jam packed suburb since I was a little kid. Are the streams there subject to this kind of force? I'm only guessing that all the roads and buildings force the water into some tight channels.

My first thought was an AMC or Cricket, but I'm not sure. What do you think?

1683852884275.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
There's a small lake there; Lake Mathilda. Part of the park system. Downstream from the lake I saw this jam up. That's usually locust, a fence made out of that, and the water probably took it down. The rails must be 8' long.

1683934241512.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Also, I was checking property in that area, and all the neighbors have to notify all the other neighbors if there will be any work done at their home/yard due to the flood danger. I guess they have to approve it.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was also interested to see all the land open for exploring in the area below, as I drove down the AC expressway. Great Egg watershed, and all that entails, plus the powerline following the expressway.

1683935148783.png

Reactions: smoke_jumper

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I doubt that’s how it got there but that whole area area around the Big Timber Creek and it’s branches have steep banks and the water levels fluctuate greatly when it rains. I’m sure all the pavement around helps too. I’m not familiar with that particular branch but I’ve been to many in that area.

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
As far at the park goes, I recall when you could paddle on New Brooklyn Lake, prior to all the development in the watershed. Still an impressive stretch of swampland extending up to Cross Keys Road.

Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Last edited:
Reactions: MuckSavage

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I wish Camden County would stop changing road names. I was looking for where Gibbsboro Road crossed Cooper Road, but it changed to Centennial, and they have this notion that calling one road two names or a hyphenated name, etc. Is this because of Boroughitis?

1684264144724.png

Reactions: smoke_jumper

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I wish Camden County would stop changing road names. I was looking for where Gibbsboro Road crossed Cooper Road, but it changed to Centennial, and they have this notion that calling one road two names or a hyphenated name, etc. Is this because of Boroughitis?

View attachment 19888
Haha Boroughitis it is. Follow Blackwood Clementon road. It has a different name in every town it passes through

• Haha
Reactions: bobpbx