Suggested day hike?

stump

Jul 2, 2007
Hi there -

I want to start exploring some hiking in NJ. I'm from OR so I have high expectations. Although I know it won't be anything like OR, I am still interested in getting outdoors. Please suggest some 10-mile hikes within 1.5 hours of Philadelphia.

Thank you!

Hi there -

I want to start exploring some hiking in NJ. I'm from OR so I have high expectations. Although I know it won't be anything like OR, I am still interested in getting outdoors. Please suggest some 10-mile hikes within 1.5 hours of Philadelphia.

Thank you!
Welcome to the forums.
Do a search for the Batona Trail. It is a 50 mile overall trail in the Pine Barrens but can be done in sections.
You may be disappointed to find that in Jersey our trees may be just a wee bit smaller than what you are used to. :D

Steve

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
There's an 8 1/2 mile marked loop at Wells Mills, if you want to end up where you started. A few rolling hills that you only get in a few other spots in the pines.

Jan 3, 2007
Cherry Hill
ya the batona is nice prolly some of the best hiking in the area. the trails are a wee bit tight and the undergrowth is dense but this is a perfect time for picking wild blueberries while hiking. there is also a shlew of different and interesting wildlife. you will often come across the white tails of deer bouncing through the woods. There are many different types of lizards, snakes and frogs. Many different kinds of birds and birds of prey. but unfortunatly like behr655 said the ticks and chiggers are especially bad this time of year. be sure to tuck your pants into your socks and your shirt into your pants and check for bites regularly. poison oak and ivy is also something that you want to keep your eye out for but dont get too preoccupied because youll prolly end up with it anyway. Ive already had both once this season.