Suggestions for Hiking/Camping Trip

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
Hi all!

On July 3rd, late afternoon, my one friend and I plan on starting a hiking/camping trip through the Pine Barrens. That's all well and good, but being the area is so large and offers so much diversity in it's similarity (don't ask, poetic moment), we were looking for a nice route where we haven't been before.

We live in Wharton basically, and he's been to the Mullica River campsite -> Batsto on an overnighter before. Foremost, we are personally interested in seeing the Pygmy Pine trees. My other main attractions would be streams, lakes, fields etc.

So, with a recipe like this and about 3 hours of walking time on Thursday the 3rd, coupled with an entire days hike on the 4th (fireworks don't keep my interest these days), and a sleepover on that night, where would be some possible routes for us to go?

We will either have a car dropped off somewhere so we can walk back on Saturday morning, or if there is a nice loop to take, that would be a possibility. However, I'd like to see as much as possible.

Note: I know camping permits are required for the most part but I also know these are for those *ahem* inconsiderate folk who don't know how to leave nature alone. I like wilderness camping and want to camp away from sand and asphalt roads. So be open in suggestions. I'll set up camp in the middle of the woods :wink:

I'm leaving for New Zealand the following Monday, so it's our last big adventure until I get back in mid-November. Yeah I know, I'm lucky.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Peace,
Justin B.

P.S. Looks like I'll have my digital camera in this coming Wednesday, right before we go. So expect many pictures when I get back!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Hike

Hmmmm. A tall order.

First, with the wet weather, the mosquitoes will eat you alive. But, if you can deal with that, go for it. It should be noted though, that the Batona Trail is the only true long distance trail. Otherwise you either bushwack (not pleasant in the summer) or walk on sand roads. Do you have access to topographic maps? If so you could try this:

Leave your car at Lake Oswego parking lot, then after consulting your map, walk the red sand road that runs Northeast all the way to the outskirts of Warren Grove recreation area and camp out. No campgrounds but so what. In the morning, eat breakfast at Lucilles, then go back West to Red road and walk it north to route 72. Go west on 72 to Sooy(?) road where chemical dump is, then take that south to Oswego Lake. You can camp in the hills around Spring hill.

Bring water, water, and more water for the way back.

This is just a suggestion. It would be a real grind in the summer, but you would see the pygmy pines.