Sunday Hunting Bill Voting 3-16-09

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
"non hunters do not have realistic reason to fear being in the woods with hunters."

Having been hit with pellets in my own backyard when living in Manahawkin and having a friend's dog shot because the hunter shot on sound rather than sight, I believe I am VERY justified and realistic in my fears.

The two instances that I have some hesitation being in the woods during hunting season are the days during the regular shotgun season and anyplace pheasants are stocked, such as the Manahawkin WMA. I hunt upland game myself, but prefer grouse over stocked pheasant. The guys that try to get out there a few days after the stocking truck are often (not always!) the ones most success oriented and least concerned about safety. Those are the guys that shoot onto the property of others or shoot other people’s dogs. That’s another segment of the sport I dislike anyway. I see no sport in hunting an animal that was essentially a domestic one until the last few days. Unfortunately, in an effort to satisfy the hunters that demand birds for their pheasant stamp money, the state has turned to put and take hunting (and fishing) rather than trying to improve more of its habitat to try to have self-sustaining populations. I get satisfaction from getting as much of my food as I can, animal or vegetable, from nature, in a most natural way and setting as I can. Some of the hunters who pursue the segments of the sport I described in this and my last post are either all about the killing or were brought with what hunting has become in much of this state, and think that it is real hunting.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Rednek,
Thanks for the info. Im a bird guy, so unless im in upstate NY hunting grouse, I have to hunt pheasant and quail in the stocked WMAs here in NJ. As for the bow hunting.. the plus side is that there are still way too many deer around. The state has faced many problems with the over abundance of deer. They can directly affect populations of other species such a bobcat, coyote, and black bear. Here's one interesting article I came across a while back: http://www.njskylands.com/pkblaircreek.htm

Obviously, this doesnt apply all over the state, but its important for people to know the reasons why there are certain bag limits and regs in different areas. There's a science behind these numbers.. same thing with fishing.

GermanG,
Interesting thoughts. I too think people take advantage of certain situations. However, being an avid fly fisher, I think that is a completely different situation. I'd say nearly 90% of all fly fisherman I've come into contact with practice catch and release. Although I occasionally will keep a couple trout, I particiapte in the sport for its beauty, not for a meal (although I love eating trout and find nothing wrong with keeping your limits). I think the fly fisherman in general has a great respect for their watersheds and for an abundance of healthy fish. Most of my buddies and I who tie flies even debarb our hooks to make the release easier on the fish. I dont see where the comparison is made with over hunting, unless I missed the point.

My point was less related to the original topic than to comparing fly fishing to traditional archery and muzzleloading, which many hunters “evolve” towards. Much like fly fishermen, these hunters enjoy the challenge of the harder path, and tend to be more knowledgeable, sportsmanlike, and safer.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I get satisfaction from getting as much of my food as I can, animal or vegetable, from nature, in a most natural way and setting as I can.

You and I have the same philosophy.

Try explaining a "tower shoot" to a non-hunter as I had to do this weekend.
It is no wonder hunters get a black eye with some of crazy-ass pay to kill hunts that are available to the gun toting man who just doesn't want to put his time in.
I deer hunted every Saturday of bow, extended bow and muzzleloader this year and hunted everyday between Christmas and New Years.
My kills?
Let quite a few grow up and saw some nice deer in some new areas just not presenting a clean shot.

I trapped (snares) continuosly from Christmas to yesterday.
Lots of near successes but no fur to show for it.
I am determined to become proficient at trapping.
By the way, trapping and carrying a dispatch weapon is legal on Sunday.

Satisfaction level for hunting/trapping 2008-2009, 100%
Scott

Update 4:50 p.m.
Both bills passed the Assembly.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
My point was less related to the original topic than to comparing fly fishing to traditional archery and muzzleloading, which many hunters “evolve” towards. Much like fly fishermen, these hunters enjoy the challenge of the harder path, and tend to be more knowledgeable, sportsmanlike, and safer.

Yah, I missed it the first time. I agree with you and your points 100%.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
So which organization represents those of us that like to use the pines as we do?

Pinelands Preservation Alliance
NJ Conservation Foundation
NJ Audubon
Sierra Club NJ Chapter
Forked River mountain Coalition
New Jersey Natural Lands Trust
The Nature Conservancy

Pick one or more.
There is certainly no shortage of organizations.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The Assembly voting yesterday was resoundingly in favor of the sportsmen with the tally being 69 for, to 8 opposed.
Pretty surprising in the Demoncrat atmosphere that we have here in NJ.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The Assembly voting yesterday was resoundingly in favor of the sportsmen with the tally being 69 for, to 8 opposed.
Pretty surprising in the Demoncrat atmosphere that we have here in NJ.

That might reflect the fact that most people are out of touch with nature anymore.

PS: How long do you think it will be until the hunting community sidles up to the same legislators and says..."why not shotgun on Sunday?". Next it will be...."why not rifle for deer hunting....hell, nobody goes in the woods but us anyway".

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
With all the damage they've done in this state led by Corzine, they are just concerned about November and trying to buy redemption and votes. I doubt it will work.

I am way, way beyond blaming one party or the other anymore. They all are incompetent. Yes, yes....that means Republicans too.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
That might reflect the fact that most people are out of touch with nature anymore.

PS: How long do you think it will be until the hunting community sidles up to the same legislators and says..."why not shotgun on Sunday?". Next it will be...."why not rifle for deer hunting....hell, nobody goes in the woods but us anyway".

It's hard to say Bob.
The proposal to allow bows for Sunday hunting met with lighter resistance, in my opinion, because they are quiet and less conspicuopus than a firearm. Archers are generally solitary and fully camo'd too, making themselves less conspicuous as well.
By the way, scoped, inline muzzleloading rifles have already been legal for deer for years. Their use has been expanded for coyote and fox and small caliber (<.36 cal.) for squirrell too.

We as sportsmen, are fortunate to have very strong, well organized lobbying organizations behind us right here in NJ and their efforts are showing.
We soundly defeated of the Karcher-Panter bill two years ago with their help and both of those politicians lost their seats that year.

Scott

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
What were these organizations input on this bill?

I have not seen anything they have to say against this bill. At least not yet.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Nice signature Bob, same album as mine. The Dead are getting together again for a short run at the Meadowlands and MSG this spring. They're still the next best thing in their genre next to having Jerry around.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
I see the Sierra club did not support the sunday bill.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-13/1237263403298890.xml&coll=1

" the Sierra Club opposes only the extension to Sundays.

"We're not against the hunting. But we feel from a safety and quality of outdoor activity standpoint that we'd like to see one day a week we wouldn't have hunters out there while we are hiking or birding," said Jeff Tittel of Sierra. "I would rather see the seasons for deer hunting extended another couple of weeks than have a Sunday hunt. Bowhunting is done the same time we run a lot of hikes, in October, November and December."

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I am way, way beyond blaming one party or the other anymore. They all are incompetent. Yes, yes....that means Republicans too.

Just the facts, and a possible reason for how a pro-hunting bill passed with Democrats in control. :colbert:

Any odds on Corzine not signing the bill?

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
I SAY ITS A WINNER FOR THE SPORSTMAN OF NEW JERSEY!!! -the general public who pay next to nothing to utilize a WMA will get to use the wildlife management areas depending on zones like 8 or 9 months out of the year without any hunters. county and state parks remain unaffected. why be so selfish. ITS A GAMELAND. it is land set asside to conserve wildlife and hunting is one of the methods in keeping the herds healthy. the pine barrens have very limited hunting bag limits compared to the rest of the state. zones like 18,21,22,23,37. are tough hunting and doe harvest is limited way more than the rest of the state. adding an extra day just means more time in the woods or an option for the person who works 6 days a week or more. i doubt its gonna mean devastating higher harvest numbers. i would also love to see a crossbow season. they have been around since 6 BC. they are indeed a primitive weapon. despite what people think they are no magical star wars killing device. they are front heavy and have less energy than a modern bow. you still have to scout for your game and be scent free and play the wind and get within bow range. once sighted in it may require less practice but you still need to take the time to practice with it. for myself its all about quality time in the woods. i dont care what the weapon is along as it cleanly does the job. hunters are fewer each year. if the crossbow brings in new people to the sport i think thats a great thing. now stop being selfish. the land belongs to us all. hunters just happen to open there wallet and put there money where there mouth is.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I'm dissappointed that it passed. I take my son into the big woods on Sundays to avoid even the slightest chance of a hunting related accident. Also, we PBX guys (together and on our own) frequent the same areas as hunters and come across stands constantly. We can expect some angry hunters in the future. Nothing against hunting, and I am an avid fisherman, but couldn't we have just left well enough alone, I mean cheez....it's only one day out of the week.

Jeff