Sunday Morning Oct. 1

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Not a great sunrise, but my son and I explored a couple of new areas.

An unmarked "off-trail" FPP bog off Jones Mill Rd in panorama.
baptist_bog_oct1.jpg

Crossed the Temawahocken, based on information provided by Ed C., Manumuskin, Teegate and others in a thread that I cannot locate at the moment. We walked in via the old road with waders, and once across tried to get to the Tulpehocken. The road ended, and my son tried to bushwack to the Tulp but I started recalling the hunter that was never found a couple of years ago. He was a hundred yards or so off, out of sight, and I called him back. I sheepishly have to admit that I still have to spend some hours learning my GPS, how to leave breadcrumbs and waypoints to retrace our steps.
temawahocken_oct1.jpg

temawahocken_tulp_map.jpg

Last edited:

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
That bridge is something to shoot for and encouragement to use my GPS for something other than just "where am I?". My son will want to find that crossing. After today he is in full out "Tulp mode", and is talking about getting to it from Friendship and Hawkins Lowland. Thanks Teegate.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That was about 2004 and we have to hope the bridge is still there. I would assume It would be as not many individuals go there to damage it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I don't think our "Tip Toe Through The Tulp" trip report is still on the site. I think it was lost during an upgrade years ago. So here are some highlights if I have not posted them again before. A fantastic trip.

bob.JPG
IMG_3228.JPG
IMG_3233.JPG
IMG_3248.JPG
IMG_3255.JPG
lean-to.JPG

Reactions: John

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
What a great set of shots. I have seen shot "IMG_3262.JPG" before, and there is something about it that captures an essence of Pine Barrens Exploration. Must have been a great trip.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Not a great sunrise, but my son and I explored a couple of new areas.
Crossed the Temawachocken, based on information provided by Ed C., Manumuskin, Teagate and others in a thread that I cannot locate at the moment. We walked in via the old road with waders, and once across tried to get to the Tulpehocken. The road ended, and my son tried to bushwack to the Tulp but I started recalling the hunter that was never found a couple of years ago. He was a hundred yards or so off, out of sight, and I called him back. I sheepishly have to admit that I still have to spend some hours learning my GPS, how to leave breadcrumbs and waypoints to retrace our steps.

First off, great pics as always! Second, I've (almost literally) done the 'breadcrumbs' thing. If you are just learning your GPS and not yet 100% confident in your markings, you can bring cut-up strips of an orange T-shirt to hang on branches on the way in and collect them on the way out as a backup. If you want to go completely LNT you can hang strips of toilet paper on the way in, so if you miss any on the way back they'll be biodegradable anyway.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe