Sunset at Westecunk Creek

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
June 22 sunset. A swift moving stream, the Westecunk at this point it is close to the ocean and Great Bay. I would think this water is brackish, and perhaps tidal. I mention this because a beaver swam back in forth in front of me, keeping an eye on me, and I didn't realize they set-up house this close to the ocean. I really need to get a kayak and roof rack and figure out how to safely stow my gear, because I can see unlimited photo opportunities once in the water.

westecunk_creek1.jpg

westecunk_creek3.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I really need to get a kayak and roof rack and figure out how to safely stow my gear, because I can see unlimited photo opportunities once in the water.

Take a look at a small pack canoe, there are several builders that now offer them, and a pelican case for your gear. I used a 10' Hornbeck for many years up north, had plenty of room for the Pelican case and tripod and they are very light, 15lbs, for getting over obstacles and very easy to transport.

Another photog in a Hornbeck, she used a dbl blade paddle, I preferred a single blade.

Through_the_lens-300x226.jpg

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Take a look at a small pack canoe, there are several builders that now offer them, and a pelican case for your gear. I used a 10' Hornbeck for many years up north, had plenty of room for the Pelican case and tripod and they are very light, 15lbs, for getting over obstacles and very easy to transport.
Another photog in a Hornbeck, she used a dbl blade paddle, I preferred a single blade.
Very helpful suggestions 46er, for the canoe AND the Pelican case. I am going to look into them.

You seem to be a pretty serious photographer, are you a professional? If I am prying just ignore me!

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Many moons ago I would do some work on consignment, then I retired from everything work related. Still have my Nikon Pro card though :D
From what I have seen, it has become increasingly hard to make a living as a ommercial studio or journalistic photographer. Let alone a landscape photographer. Luckily I don't have too, but as in graphic design, software and technology changes with light speed. A lot of newspapers no longer have photographers on staff. I'm sure there are a lot less Nikon Pro's then there once were!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
From what I have seen, it has become increasingly hard to make a living as a ommercial studio or journalistic photographer. Let alone a landscape photographer.

It can be done, but one has to adapt; its not just taking pictures, but the entire photography spectrum. Most nature pro's I know do their highest % on classes/tours, and more time is spent on marketing versus shutter clicks. I worked with high end interior decorators, very low stress situations, and met some interesting folks along the way. Now I just do it for enjoyment, but occasionally the cash register still rings when I least expect it. ;)

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009
I wholly support 46ers recommendation on the pack canoe. I use a 12 foot old town pack, and personally find a kayak impractical for my photography purposes. I am sure some folks are happy with the kayak for their style of photography, but my gear is just too cumbersome and even more so if doing video.

Your composition is getting better and better Jon.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Thanks for the recomendation Jason, I was looking at an old town canoe today. You're right, with a tripod and camera gear, I would think a stable platform is critical. I sent a D810 to the bottom of the Muskee Creek 18 months ago, and that was an expensive, and painful, lesson.

I've been studying Ernest Cozens use of backlight and reflection. I'm not at his level, but I'm working on it.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I was looking at an old town canoe today.

Go as light as you can afford. Three manufacturers that have been building them for awhile at the links. I can easily recommend Swift as I have their 15' Mattawa in kevlar fusion with carbon kevlar trim, or a Hornbeck as I had one of theirs for some time. Placid Boat works have an excellent rep, but I never paddled one.

http://www.swiftcanoe.com/#!pack-boat/c1gum

http://www.hornbeckboats.com/boats.php

http://www.placidboatworks.com/

Have fun shopping :)