Superbowl Pre-Game In the Pines

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
What happens when you are not a sports fan and your son and dogs are't either ?
Why you head deep into the pines (4 miles in from 206) to check some remote goose spots for late season Canadas with the dogs.

Then, you ignore dad's advice and try to drive through this:
img_1585_zps17fde1ce.jpg

Then you call Mom to rescue dad, son, Hank and Murphy by bringing dad's big ol' diesel truck back with the strap. (I remember a time not long ago when a cell phone was worthless in this spot.)
We left the stuck truck running with the exhaust tip submerged in 6" of water and blowing bubbles. My son grabbed anything of value and we started walking towards 206. I told my wife what road we were on and to lock in the hubs and stop at the first water hole that would scare her and that was where we would meet. My son and the dogs and I hoofed it about a mile and a half to the meet spot and beat her there by 3 minutes.

A little belch from the 7.3 in low range and creeper low brought the Jeep back to dry land.
img_1586_zps2cf1121c.jpg

Then mom and son bail the Jeep out with coffee cups and a take-out dinner plastic plate.

img_1582_zps8e678d1d.jpg

img_1584_zpsc22597ce.jpg

I didn't realize I had my camera until after I yanked him out so I don't have a before picture.
We left the woods at sunset.

Actually, it was fun for me, mom and the dogs but it may be the end of my son's Jeep. He did the same thing a year ago and had the transmission completely rebuilt. After I drug him out we parked on a hill and water came out of the exhaust for awhile and he was smoke trailing pretty good on Chew Road.
We dropped it off to a mecahnic friend of mine and we will know more about the damage tomorrow.

Sitting home now with a rock glass of Wild Turkey 81 and a Firestone Walker IPA.
Life is good.

Go Phillies!
Whoops, wrong sport I think.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Oops! You might just want to learn to be a football fan.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I thought I was the only possessor of testicular devices on earth that didn't speak football.That is except for my Dad and one cousin.To me football is a bunch of big strappin dudes in tight britches running around smacking each others butts??????

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Seems ironic that there's stripes on the back of the fish on the window; and there's soon to be stripes on your son's back... judging by mom's demeanor! I like the way he's using the door as a buffer in the 3rd photo. :)

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
She was surprisingly cheerful, even though those particular photos don't make it appear that way.
Her biggest concern was that she was following my directions correctly to find us.
She even brought us snacks ! The dogs appreciated that as well.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Oh man! You all brought the Jeep swimming. It is never good when you could use a bilge pump in the interior. I hope the ECM is not on the floor under the driver's seat like a Chevy. Hopefully once it is dry it will be fine.

I used a vacation day yesterday and just kicked around the woods in my truck. I came upon a Husband and Wife that had their 2 wheel drive Ranger mired in the muck. A quick yank from my truck in 4 low and they were good to go.

Chris

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Oh man! You all brought the Jeep swimming. It is never good when you could use a bilge pump in the interior. I hope the ECM is not on the floor under the driver's seat like a Chevy. Hopefully once it is dry it will be fine.

Chris
ECM is fine because we ran it all the way home and an even worse dunking last year didn't kill it. Mechanic buddy holds some hope since tranny was freshly rebuilt a year ago. He is hoping with fluid changes all the way around it may be salvageable.
The Jeep has 270,000 miles on it now but with that straight 6, it will probably do another 270,000.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
ECM is fine because we ran it all the way home and an even worse dunking last year didn't kill it. Mechanic buddy holds some hope since tranny was freshly rebuilt a year ago. He is hoping with fluid changes all the way around it may be salvageable.
The Jeep has 270,000 miles on it now but with that straight 6, it will probably do another 270,000.

Cool, that's good to hear! One of our vans at work was driven through some "minor" flooding and the ECM got wet. The van made it back to the shop running, but with a miss. The ECM had to be changed, a quick and fairly cheap fix.

I have owned two Cherokee's with the straight 6 in both of them, great trucks! Plenty of power! Other than maintenance, brakes, tires, and fuel. I never had to make any other repairs. The last one I owned, I bought new and owned for 10 years. I put 100k on that one. I sold my first one with 150k on it. I wish Jeep never discontinued the straight 6. My '09 Wrangler has the 3.8L V-6, that replaced the straight 6. It's a dog in the power department! Tracey even complains about the power difference from our last Cherokee.

Buschwacker

Oct 3, 2006
Carteret, New Jersey
Been there and done that ... had a brand new 1987 Ford Ranger ... first weeke nd I had it buried it past both axels going to a fishing spot that I been to at least 1000 times before without getting stuck. Did you find any good hunting spots?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Well, it's back in action after multiple trans flushes. The windows are fogging on the inside from the saturated interior and the there is water still leaking out of the floor pan into the street but it runs.
Takes a lickin', keeps on tickin'.

Takoda

Feb 12, 2012
Southern NJ
Good story, glad it still runs!

Tear out the carpeting front to back and discard it... Then get Rhino Liner and line the entire floor pan front to rear. Next time it's dunked in the Pines, draining the interior will be a breeze! :)

Some vehicles also have drain plugs in the floor pans that can be pulled to let excess water drain out, look under the Jeep at the pans, look for circular or oval shaped plugs, if they exist, pull them out and let the water drain.

Best of luck!