Survival shelter

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I found this intact shelter while bushwacking near the Batona Camp this morning.

P1010877s.JPG

P1010878s.JPG

P1010881s.JPG

P1010879s.JPG

P1010880s.JPG

There was no campfire or other disturbance around it. It did appear to have been used, there was a broken flash light in it.

How to build a shelter.
http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/shelter/debrishut/ds2004/index.html

Ed

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Yeah! Cool find, indeed.

I think I was behind you on Carranza Rd. this morning, Ed. Was that your pick-up accompanied by trotting dogs, about 8am? :) Was tempted to follow you back to Batona Camp and introduce myself.

Bill

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Yeah! Cool find, indeed.

I think I was behind you on Carranza Rd. this morning, Ed. Was that your pick-up accompanied by trotting dogs, about 8am? :) Was tempted to follow you back to Batona Camp and introduce myself.

Bill

No Bill, it wasn't me. I drive a tan Jeep Wrangler. I was there about 8:30. I frequently see that blue pick-up running his dogs there. What do you drive, I'll keep a look out? I walk a Great Dane and a white Jack Russell Terrier, we're easy to spot. Look at my avitar.

Ed

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
If by chance its not a mt lion den (though I think it is), the scouts often build shelters like that for the wilderness survival merit badge. My guess wood be that, a Tom Brown cronie, or just some bored dude thinking about hitting the hills.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
i think someone watches to much of man vs wild and wanted to see if they could build a shelter or they just did it to mess with people

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Pretty good construction. I found one, one time near the skit. I always think it is a Tom Brown Jr. trainee for some reason.

Jeff

I found about 6 of them grouped together just off the Batona Trail about a decade ago. This was south of APH, about 1/4 mile south of White Horse Road.
On the lighter side I found one made up using an old sofa. This was also along the skit between the Carranza Monument and the boot camp.

Ed

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Tom Brown's disciples were holding classes over the past couple of weeks. You can tell when all the cars are parked at Wells Mill park. I wonder if the county charges them for the privlidge?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I agree with PBfog. That Bear Gryilus is annoying. He's got that limey accent, always running around all hyped up, way too eager to jump in frigid water so he can do his exhibitionist thing, & needs to blow his nose.

Mike :ham:

If you followed Gryilus' advice, you'd wind up dead.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
I agree with PBfog. That Bear Gryilus is annoying. He's got that limey accent, always running around all hyped up, way too eager to jump in frigid water so he can do his exhibitionist thing, & needs to blow his nose.

Survivorman is laid back, funny, I can understand what he's saying with the Canadian accent, which by itself is entertaining. Plus he doesn't take joy in biting into live fish, he tries to cook at least.

Mike :ham:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
bears voice aggravates my wife so bad she won't watch him,i get tired of looking at his naked rear end every show and the wild stunts he does would never be advisable in a survival situation.why would you do anything that has a could chance of screwing you up when your nowhere near medical attention?
Al