Swimming in clay/sand mines...

PiningAway

Aug 20, 2011
Collingswood
Hi all...
I am new to the board (have been reading it for years but have never posted before). Grew up right outside of the pines, and spent most of youth camping, hiking and kayaking in the area. I've always previously stuck to mainstream areas and places with public access. Lately, I have the urge for deeper exploration.
My latest obsession is locating a sand mine/pit which people go to swim. I do realize that these are largely private property.
As a child some friends of my parents took us out to the mine at Warren's Grove - at the time, it was far less policed. We swam there freely all day and had a WONDERFUL time. I never forgot how beautiful, warm, and blue the water was. I longed to go back - but I couldn't recall the location until google satellite came to my attention.
I've read much of what appears on this site about the pits. I am wondering a few things:
Are there any mines which are no longer in operation and where swimming is either permitted or at least relatively common? (and if so, will you tell me where?) If not, is there anyone out there with some experience with and recommendations for working mines after hours where folks secretly go to refresh?
And, do these bodies of water appear as blue in the winter when the ground is covered with snow? Do they freeze over?
I am a conscientious 40 y/o woman who grew up with a profound respect for nature... no interest in keggers in the woods or bonfires, etc., I always leave a location as close to as I found it as possible...

Thank you ahead of time :)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
If your looking for blue holes in the barrens I know a few but they are much more common down my way in cumberland county.What area are you looking for a swimming hole in?I know a couple in in the parker preserve.One near chatsworth a nice one out to old halfway but down my way there are so many I'd have to make a list with coords.Of cours all are either private or state and there legally is no swimming on state land uless supervised.hey this is NJ,the most over regulated state in the country.let me know your area and I'll send you some nice blue holes.
Al

Reactions: PiningAway

PiningAway

Aug 20, 2011
Collingswood
If your looking for blue holes in the barrens I know a few but they are much more common down my way in cumberland county.What area are you looking for a swimming hole in?I know a couple in in the parker preserve.One near chatsworth a nice one out to old halfway but down my way there are so many I'd have to make a list with coords.Of cours all are either private or state and there legally is no swimming on state land uless supervised.hey this is NJ,the most over regulated state in the country.let me know your area and I'll send you some nice blue holes.
Al
I grew up in Medford Lakes. I live in collingswood now, so I drive into the chatsworth area frequently - but I will gladly make a day trip of it and head down to the millville area as well. Would you give me the lowdown on a few in each area? Ideally places you've been or have known people to swim...Very interested in your info! TY so much!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am pretty certain they don't want you swimming in the one on the Parker Preserve. However, on the hot summer days I see quite a few vehicles parked along the road by the path leading to it so people must be doing it.

Guy

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
I grew up in Collingswood (went to Collingswood High) and now live in ATCO. There are so many nice swimming holes in many of the pine barrens rivers, like the Wading River, that are easy to get to by car. But since you kayak, you could just take your boat down one of the rivers and stop at one of the little beach areas that are found on these rivers, have a picnic and swim. That's what I like to do.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Guy
NJ doesn't want you swimming anywhere unless there is a lifeguard present or your on your own property.This is the "Sue Me " state.When you have legislation that allows you to sue a fast food restaurant because you spilled hot coffee on yourself this is the kind of menatality were dealing with.Such a dangerous activity as swimming will be met with hyperventilation and replies of you can't be serious.Also where does wading cease and swimming start?As Whip and I waded down the tulpe was it okay as long as our feet were on bottom but the moment I tripped and did a quick doggie paddle to keep from a complete head dunking at that point was I breaking the law?How can a person sue a landowner for a drowning that occured on their land while said person was tresspassing in the first place?I don't know but it happens all the time and this is why you can't crap without a permit in NJ.
Al

PiningAway

Aug 20, 2011
Collingswood
I've been swimming all over the pine barrens... just not in a blue hole since age 9-10. I am specifically looking for sand mine swimming holes. If its just as illegal to swim in Lake Oswego or the wading river which I have done for decades.... then there are surely sand mines within state owned properties which are frequently used to "wade"....? I located a few in and around chatsworth... but as I don't have a 4x4 I am hoping for recommendations to those which I can park and walk to, or even drive in on sand that is not to to soft. I can make it to apple pie hill in my car so roads in keeping with that...
Al... is the blue hole in parker the one which is immediately west of Chatsworth Lake?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
yes that is one of them but there are also two blue holes that appear older with a little more vegetation in them just east of 563 on parker preserve.You go south of chatsworth 2.25 mi to the parking area for the preserve on your right.walk past the gate about 3 minutes and you will come to 2 holes one on your left and one on the right.They are behind the house next to the parking area but out of site though people yelling may be heard at the house.I haven't swam in these but the water is clear and you should be alone.Do you know about the two holes at old half way?You should be able to get a car within easy walking distance of both of those.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would not swim at Old Half Way. They are full of trash, bottles, cars, etc. Not a good idea. Plus, it is Wildlife management and they do patrol.

Guy

PiningAway

Aug 20, 2011
Collingswood
yes, not so interested in swimming where there is trash and sunken cars. No worries about people yelling though, it would only be me and perhaps a friend, and my camera.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I thought the state took all the cars out of that area Guy? I haven't been to the western hole in years,there were two vehicles there then and no real nice beach but the water was as purty blue as it gets.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
yes, not so interested in swimming where there is trash and sunken cars. No worries about people yelling though, it would only be me and perhaps a friend, and my camera.

You swam at the pit in Warren Grove? On my travels I've seen people swimming in the last hole on the left on the road to the gate at Sim Place from Warren Grove. Right before the road curves to the right.

suits

Mar 12, 2003
Collingswood
Visit site
WhitesBog has some nice places to swim,also off Mt Misery RD,towards Buckingham,there is an old abandoned Cranberry Bog that is nice and far back in the woods,it has a little sand beach,I haven't been there in a couple years,and it is has a name ,but I don't recall it,it is sso peaceful and serene,reminds you of Maine,I also live in Collingswood.

Reactions: PiningAway

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nobody take this the wrong way, but if I were her I would have no idea where most of these places are. If you seriously want to help her out you may want to sent a "Conversation" with some links.

Nice to see you posting suits!

Guy

suits

Mar 12, 2003
Collingswood
Visit site
The Bog I am talking about is off Butler Place Rd,near Pasadena Mt. Misery Rd.,in Brendan Byrne State Forest,I believe they call it the North Branch,its one of the most pleasant places in the pines.

PiningAway

Aug 20, 2011
Collingswood
You swam at the pit in Warren Grove? On my travels I've seen people swimming in the last hole on the left on the road to the gate at Sim Place from Warren Grove. Right before the road curves to the right.
I swam there about 25 years ago. I only vaguely recall it - but what I remembered stuck with me hard, and I've wanted to revisit. I tried the road you refer to, but by warren grove it's closed off - I haven't made my way around to the other side. Not sure which hole you are talking about because i thought there were only two... have to go back and look at the satellite images again...

PiningAway

Aug 20, 2011
Collingswood
I am pretty handy with directions/maps/satellite images - lost my handheld GPS in The Break Up of 2009... So far I can get to where most of you have referred provided I don't get stuck in the sand. My Jeep and winch were also sacrificed in the aformentioned 'divorce'.
Hey thank you all for the advice![/quote]

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I've been swimming all over the pine barrens... just not in a blue hole since age 9-10. I am specifically looking for sand mine swimming holes. If its just as illegal to swim in Lake Oswego...

Is it illegal to swim in Lake Oswego now too? That's about the only place in the Pines I used to go to swim (except when falling out of my canoe on the rivers). It even has a beach. Just about everything is illegal in NJ and NY.

I used to live in upper Manhattan not far from the GW Bridge. I had some swimming holes that I loved to go to in NJ in the summer, illegal of course, but they were way up north, my favorites being Island Pond in bear Mntn.-Harriman State Park, and Rotten Pond near Oakland, NJ, and the names of two others also in the general Oakland area slip my mind, but those latter two I mainly went with my inflatable kayak, one hiking through the woods with the boat in my backpack to get to it, and the other was great for a few years because a park ranger gave me the secret combination lock code so I could drive right up. What were those names...?