Tadpole to frog

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Back on August 15th we were walking through the parking lot at Carranza when we noticed many tadpoles in a puddle there. We thought wouldn't it be a great mid summer project to watch them transform into frogs. We took three home and put them in an aquarium on an outside table. At this stage they were a 3/8 diameter round ball with a small tail. Unfortunately I have no pictures from this stage.

The now dried up puddle, I don't think the ones that remained made it.

On August 28th the body has elogated and the tail is wide for swimming. The rear legs are forming but are not yet being used. The tadpoles are negatively bouyant.

Munching on a koi pellet.

September 5th, they're getting restless.

This one was slightly behind.

September 8th, time to go.

I tried to get a picture in a hand for scale but they were in a big rush. They were alot offun to watch. Does anyone have an idea what type they are?

Ed

Apr 30, 2009
They are a gray treefrog. They resemble pine barrens treefrog when young, but the striping on the legs is a dead give away that it is a gray. If you google gray treefrog tadpole images, you can see that is what you had. Great photos!

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
What a great project and piece of conservation! did all 3 survive?

Yes, they were all very healthy and active. When they finally got their legs they wanted out of that jail quick. In their souls they knew exactly what they were supposed to do. We released them on our property which has aquatic gardens. There are other frogs around which may not be good for them but they must be free.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Ed, that is def. a grey tree frog. We have northerns and southerns(NJ Threatened) in south jersey. More than likely these ones were northern but the only way to differentiate them is from there call. Its funny grey trees have just started showing up around there somewhat recently. I think the heavy truck use is actually created breeding pools that are more conducive for grey trees then pine barrens tree frogs. Normally when you see grey tree tadpoles in the core barrens they are affiliated with some sort of manmade disturbance....be it a drainage basin, ORV created puddle, roadside ditch, etc.

Just a heads up I would try to release the little guys around were you found them.....but good job with the project.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice post Ed! I have noticed many more tabpoles this year in pudlles than other years. Maybe because there are more puddles :)

Guy

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Ed, that is def. a grey tree frog. We have northerns and southerns(NJ Threatened) in south jersey. More than likely these ones were northern but the only way to differentiate them is from there call. Its funny grey trees have just started showing up around there somewhat recently. I think the heavy truck use is actually created breeding pools that are more conducive for grey trees then pine barrens tree frogs. Normally when you see grey tree tadpoles in the core barrens they are affiliated with some sort of manmade disturbance....be it a drainage basin, ORV created puddle, roadside ditch, etc.

Just a heads up I would try to release the little guys around were you found them.....but good job with the project.

Very interesting info--thanks.

And Ed, what a great idea, great shots, kindly conservation!
The 'time to go' shot is beautiful.

Glo