Take note if you fish

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Good info I think they still eat this fish in Japan

The Northern Puffer is the species we get here and is not poisonous and great for the table properly cleaned. This is a new species never seen in our waters and easily recognizable from the more common Northern.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
We have a lot of great fish here that are under-appreciated. Eel is a delicacy that I grew up with, yet very few restaurants serve it. Our farmhands (Tussy and Cowboy come to mind) used to catch and prepare snappers (the turtle) for Bookbinders when I was a kid. It involved laborious preparation, but the restaurant paid well. For the best stock you had to break up the shell with an ax to add as an amendment. Are there any chefs with the skill-sets to capitalize on the new bounty, or would there be too many obstacles?

Reactions: smoke_jumper

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
We have a lot of great fish here that are under-appreciated. Eel is a delicacy that I grew up with, yet very few restaurants serve it. Our farmhands (Tussy and Cowboy come to mind) used to catch and prepare snappers (the turtle) for Bookbinders when I was a kid. It involved laborious preparation, but the restaurant paid well. For the best stock you had to break up the shell with an ax to add as an amendment. Are there any chefs with the skill-sets to capitalize on the new bounty, or would there be too many obstacles?
I grew up eating just about anything we caught from the oceans and bays. You mention eel which was always a show when it was cooked. We used to crowd around the stove as kids to watch the eel sections wiggle in the pan when they were cooked.

Reactions: Spung-Man