Take Off Tuesday

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I took off from work today and met up with bobpbx and Rooftree for a hard day of exploring. Our goal today was to have a good time.

Multiple nice places such as this.

IMG_8401a.jpg

Bob surveying the area.

IMG_8402a.jpg

Ron walking the log. Bob is actually in this photo but it is too thick to even see him.

IMG_8413a.jpg

Ron photographing one of the 44 yellow orchids at this location.

IMG_8419a.jpg

And while walking with Ron I discovered this Turks Cap Lilly. I have to admit one of the highlights of my day.

IMG_8408a.jpg

Bob eating cheese and crackers at our short lunch break on Route 72.

IMG_8420a.jpg

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Guy, in the second photo that's actually me surveying the situation on how to cross the rill without going down over my boots. There were many more like that. And, if you look real real hard you may see Bob in the photo where I was crossing the log.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
When you two crossed the creek, I forgot to mention it was real nice on that side. Right?

I assume you are referring to me. Yes, it was easier to walk for the most part and had nice views. That would be the side to walk on for sure.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Yes Bob, it was nice on that side. It was more like working your way through a typical cedar swamp. If you were trying to hug the main artery of the stream, then there were some challenges transversing the rough spots. It made Guy's day as he found a lonesome turk's-cap lily. And a green wood orchid.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
As for me; no ticks or chigger bites. I found no ticks on myself or clothes. I treated by pants with permethrin just the day before. I can't say that helped as I have found ticks on treated pants before. This is the only time I've been out this summer, where I had a good chance in getting them. Bob and Guy have been out there much more often.

Reactions: Sue Gremlin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I used nothing and saw nothing. But I had chiggers over the weekend.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Personally, I'm sold on the idea that what we call chiggers are just young ticks. But I stumbled across this trying to identify another bug recently....

IMG_9153.jpg

From page 294:

IMG_9152.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I think Howard only threw that in to cover everything. Consider this; he includes that they "burrow under your skin". Actually, they don't, so he likely "harvested" that information from another source.

Reactions: Boyd

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I do believe that there are both chiggers and young ticks out there. I think they both leave different bites. Young ticks leave a bite similar to a mosquito like a hard knot. They also seem to group around my socks and waistband. What I consider chigger bites are usually more scattered and random. They also look more like a pimple that’s ready to pop. I could be wrong but that’s my observation. When I’ve walked through a bunch of tick nymphs I’ve seen them and was covered. I’ve never seen chiggers only the bites.

Reactions: Boyd