Tearing Down The Walls at HF

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Someone was really going to town on the walls at the Hampton Furnace ruins this week.
I was down there earlier this week and did not notice anything. It is very obvious now, the broken mortar is very white.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Some of you have viewed this and some have not. This is from the late 70's. I am sorry about the quality but the original is packed away and hard to get to. You can read this if you look closely. Take notice of what the man in the photo says about the ruins at Hampton. Also, notice the Harrisville error.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/04222011/Vandals.JPG

Guy

Pandot

Scout
Sep 30, 2008
Sweetwater
I just don't understand the mentality of taking from a historical, fragile site to build one's new fireplace, although I certainly know that type. Plenty of those superficial dopes where I used to live up in Monmouth County. Sad, sad, sad.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
somone should go to harbor frieght and buy a fake camera, they have them for like $10, and put the thing on a pole at the site with a sign that says something like "state monitored historic site".Put an old CB antenna on it and maybe a small pvc junction box. The average idiot would think the thing was real, and the whole project would cost maybe $20. The state apparently does not care about the site. In fact just some signs that say that the area is now video monitored would stop most of the vandalism.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
This wrenches at the gut, but unfortunately we're in the position of pitting our interest in the past against an unstoppable force of nature: stupid, careless people seeking easy pickings or cheap thrills. What are you going to do? Post guards to keep the ruins from being ruined? These people are like bacteria breaking down a fallen tree. Unlike bacteria, of course, they know what they're doing. They don't have the right, but they can't be effectively stopped. Across all of human history and throughout the world ruins that haven't been guarded have been plundered. That's my sad take on it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
1974 Batsto Citizens Gazette.

summer1974.jpg

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
It's been several years since I've traveled E. Stokes Road, but when I did, I recall the road have many "hoopdy-doops". Sorry, I don't know what else to call them, but the road has dips every few feet for most of then length of the road. It's all pretty narrow is some spots.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I use to call them roller coaster roads. Some call them whoop de doos or however that should be spelled. In the end we all get the idea :)

Guy

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I've been all the way down it from 206 to Quaker Bridge Rd. several times in the last couple of years. It's not too bad. A little narrow in spots, and if you drive too fast the locals have special hand signals they use to suggest you slow down.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Stokes is pretty rough in spots now, on either side of Hampton. There are some deep holes on it after you cross Hampton Road, some have a go around, some you have to pick sides carefully.