Texas Hill Country

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I had a business trip to Austin Texas last week, so I could not resist a trip to the west, out in the Hill country of South Central Texas. It was really neat, I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. It was a great day to be in Texas, and I’d like to share the photos I took.

Here is the country driving out there. Always exciting going exploring (yeah, its what I do):

BIGSKY.JPG

Stopped at a living history ranch in LBJ National Park. A fine Texas day.

BARN.JPG

Is this real buckboard cool or what? I see a little lass named Becky riding hard, pigtails flying, cause Daddy needs the Doctor out on the Ranch.

WAGON.JPG

Across the woods, I came upon the real deal.

LBJ.JPG

Now I can see why he loved this place, the sprawling ranch house, hidden behind the Live Oaks.

RANCHOUSE.JPG

Look at this idyllic spot on the banks of his river. Beautiful. That is the Perdenales River, where LBJ dipped his toes as a boy.

PERDENALES.JPG

He had neighbors, the Behrens. The man had Steve’s features. Definitely related:

BEHRENS.JPG

I then traveled to Enchanted Rock, an outcropping of the true pink granite bedrock of Texas. This is it upon first sight, coming down a hill.

FIRSTSITE.JPG

Here is what this country looks like on the side of the road, on the way down to the Rock.

COUNTRY.JPG

The entrance:

ENTRANCE.JPG

On the way up a shot rang out, and I ducked behind a boulder. I looked up, where did it come from? (just kidding….made me think of that when I looked up while walking).

RANGOUT2.JPG

SHOT.JPG

Another view on the way up. There were 3 or 4 hills.

UPVIEW.JPG

People up on top. Not many though, it was a good day to go up.

TOPPEOPLE.JPG

Bare rock going up. It felt strange. It was so huge.

BAREROCK.JPG

Wonderful on top. Big sky Texas. Yes!

BIGSKYTWO.JPG

In a couple places vegetation had taken hold.

TREETOP.JPG

Even flowers.

FLOWERS.JPG

Looking West I got excited. I wanted to run down there and get a four wheel drive and start following that road towards the deserts and New Mexico. Know what I mean? Definitely tempting. Are you in?

DUEWEST.JPG

Here is something that makes you think of Texas. This is about ¾ of the way up.

PRICKLY.JPG

Over towards the sister outcrop, a rocky valley.

ROCKVALLEY.JPG

Another big view:

BIGVIEW.JPG

Boulders free standing. These are about 20 feet or so high. Kill you if they start sliding.

BOULDERS.JPG

One thing you see a lot of in Texas is iron work and tractors and such. This is for sale George. Go get ‘er!

TRACTORSALE.JPG

Or a real western wagon schooner? Look at all the tractors in the background.

WAGONSALE.JPG

Something about Texas many of you already know. They take care of their own. Many picnic tables on the roadside. They were all clean, in great condition, and many had great views.

PICNICTABLE.JPG

I really had a great time. It was a 12 hour exploring day. One for the record books.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Looking West I got excited. I wanted to run down there and get a four wheel drive and start following that road towards the deserts and New Mexico. Know what I mean? Definitely tempting. Are you in?

DUEWEST.JPG

I'm in!! You take the 4X4 and I'll take a Honda XR 650.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Great town. One of my college room mates is from there. I have been out there too many times to count. If you go again, try to make it out to Lake Travis and have a drink at The Oasis and watch sunset over the lake. It can be touristy but great views.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Really nice Bob! I am assuming the hills are owned by the state?

That has to be a relative of Steve's!

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Great town. One of my college room mates is from there. I have been out there too many times to count. If you go again, try to make it out to Lake Travis and have a drink at The Oasis and watch sunset over the lake. It can be touristy but great views.

I'll do that. I should be going again in June. On this trip I also made it to Canyon Lake Dam.

Guy, yes to the enchanted rock hill. If you look closely at the sign you can see "State Natural Area".