The Armchair Explorers of Google Maps

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
"People have always filled empty parts of maps with their imaginations and debated over information gaps. The difference this time is that the explorers are amateurs on their home computers. For the most part, they’re having fun along the way."

Note: This story is also available on Apple News if you're using a Mac, iPad or iPhone

https://apple.news/AOxOVLxpvTbKNF4OXXEqM5w

Scroggy

Scout
Jul 5, 2022
Delaware
I joined a "LiDAR and Aerial Archaeology" group on Facebook and wound up having to mute it. You could post a grayscale picture of a Quarter Pounder meal there and some nimrods would claim in the comments that it was 1) WWII fortifications 2) an Indian mound 3) Civil War trenches 4) an abandoned mine 5) Roman ruins 6) a meteor crater.

It's a nice idea in theory, but I feel like you need to have some sort of thematic subdivision to enrich for people who either know something relevant, or want to know.

Reactions: Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I joined a "LiDAR and Aerial Archaeology" group on Facebook and wound up having to mute it. You could post a grayscale picture of a Quarter Pounder meal there and some nimrods would claim in the comments that it was 1) WWII fortifications 2) an Indian mound 3) Civil War trenches 4) an abandoned mine 5) Roman ruins 6) a meteor crater.

It's a nice idea in theory, but I feel like you need to have some sort of thematic subdivision to enrich for people who either know something relevant, or want to know.
Some of the reactions to posts in Pine Barren Facebook Groups turn my stomach. It's not so much the wierdness, but the over the top emotions ejaculated:

PRECIOUS!, GORGEOUS!, LOVE THIS!, AWESOME!---complete with outsized graphics of clapping hands, dancing bears, Furry things, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: MuckSavage and Boyd

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor

This one is my personal favorite:

After I finished 10 minutes of laughing I posted a reply, explaining what mosquito ditches and impoundments were, and that these features were not present on aerials from the 30s, which anyone could look up. The reply was naturally deleted. Even more amazing than the video were the other replies, which consisted of other fools gulping down the koolaid.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
What a joke. No indian would live in a place like that. Sloshing around in skeeter infested marshes. He called the places between the ditches 'lots'.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
This one is my personal favorite:

After I finished 10 minutes of laughing I posted a reply, explaining what mosquito ditches and impoundments were, and that these features were not present on aerials from the 30s, which anyone could look up. The reply was naturally deleted. Even more amazing than the video were the other replies, which consisted of other fools gulping down the koolaid.
That's f'n gold!