The ATV war continues

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I don't think its fair, 46'r, to blame the lack of a facility fully on the state. The article clearly discusses the State's attempts to open some up, but the locals would not have it.

NIMBY.

skip3

Explorer
Nov 21, 2009
cc tx, Green Bank Nj
"There's nowhere to go — everything you're doing is illegal," said Brian Chaplin, 45, a Mount Arlington father who wants a place for his 13-year-old son, Corey, to ride."I hate to teach my son the wrong things in life, but let's be serious. I want the kid to get outside," said Chaplin.

In five tears Corey is going to be a registered voter and is going to have a say (vote) in what state $$ goes into the pine barrens. He needs to fall in love with them as a kid so he can protect them as an adult ...

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
"There's nowhere to go..... everything you're doing is illegal,"..... I want the kid to get outside," said Chaplin.

This guy needs to open his eyes. Everything is not illegal, yet, and his son certainly doesn't need an ATV to get outside and enjoy things. This kind of argument hurts instead of helping. :rolleyes:

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
This guy needs to open his eyes. Everything is not illegal, yet, and his son certainly doesn't need an ATV to get outside and enjoy things. This kind of argument hurts instead of helping. :rolleyes:

no he doesn't need an atv to get outdoors. for some people its a way of life. My son just turned 2 and knows how to steer and stop (speed turned down to about 2mph). Taking him out this weekend in the pines (on friends properties). I also take him for walks and wagon rides but the quad is by far the favorite of his.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
"There's nowhere to go — everything you're doing is illegal," said Brian Chaplin, 45, a Mount Arlington father who wants a place for his 13-year-old son, Corey, to ride."I hate to teach my son the wrong things in life, but let's be serious. I want the kid to get outside," said Chaplin.

In five tears Corey is going to be a registered voter and is going to have a say (vote) in what state $$ goes into the pine barrens. He needs to fall in love with them as a kid so he can protect them as an adult ...

This quote is pretty funny. Gee, I hate to teach my kid to break the law, but how else can I get him off the damn X-Box?

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
A point I mentioned in an unrelated thread bears considering. They stopped making new woods long ago but they haven’t stopped developing what we have. The amount of open space available for recreation in this state is shrinking. The problem with finding legal places to ride ATVs is going to get worse, not better. The shops that sell these vehicles are certainly not going to go out of their way to inform potential buyers of the problem. And unlike horses and mountain bikes, ATVs don’t work well on multi purpose trails. Considering these factors, I would strongly steer my kids away from becoming involved in ATVs in the first place.

As for this thread, the ban resulted from flared tempers in past threads on the topic. If it stays civil perhaps Ben will take mercy on it. :)

skip3

Explorer
Nov 21, 2009
cc tx, Green Bank Nj
There is no activity that can happen in the woods that has no effect on them.
Only way to have Zero impact is to stay out. Short of that I think a little personal responsibility will go a long way.

Maybe one day they will start taking satellite photos on a daily basis and everyone can explore without ever going in. This I am sure they will say is best for us.....

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Maybe one day they will start taking satellite photos on a daily basis and everyone can explore without ever going in. This I am sure they will say is best for us.....

ummmm Google Earth lol. This is how I have found "whats on the other side of that puddle that I don't want to try crossing by myself" :)

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Don't forget this is just as bad as telling your son to go pee pee on that big tree over there:)

Well, that's a value judgement on your part. I guess we all decide what the breakable rules are, and whether we're right would depend on how many people agree with us. For me, with every other animal in the forest urinating where it pleases them, it seems silly to tell this animal to do otherwise.

skip3

Explorer
Nov 21, 2009
cc tx, Green Bank Nj
A point I mentioned in an unrelated thread bears considering. They stopped making new woods long ago but they haven’t stopped developing what we have. The amount of open space available for recreation in this state is shrinking. The problem with finding legal places to ride ATVs is going to get worse, not better. The shops that sell these vehicles are certainly not going to go out of their way to inform potential buyers of the problem. And unlike horses and mountain bikes, ATVs don’t work well on multi purpose trails. Considering these factors, I would strongly steer my kids away from becoming involved in ATVs in the first place.

As for this thread, the ban resulted from flared tempers in past threads on the topic. If it stays civil perhaps Ben will take mercy on it. :)

You know I think that horses should be allowed in the woods, but think there is little differance between them and responsible Atv use. good thing about a horse is it's tough to get lost on one, Just turn around and follow the "popcorn" trail back....

I am kinda surprised that the Atv ban has never been challenged on the basis of interfering with interstate commerce........