The Batona Trail - Hiking

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Sometime, probably next year, I want to hike the Batona Trail. I've read over a few things and searched it up, and downloaded some maps already. Does anyone have some advice for me? It should take less then a week, I'm guessing.

Are you aloud to camp along the trail, or are there campgrounds at different points off the trail?

Does anyone know where I can find a dependable map for the hike?

And is the entire trail pretty well maintained, or are there some creeks or boggy areas you must cross?

Thanks,
Brandon

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Mike Baker ran it in one day, so you should have no problem hiking it in a week :)

To camp you have to have a permit I believe, but you can do a stealth camp if you skip the fires.

Guy

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
The state put out a small green brochure, similar to the standard brochure for each state park, just on the Batona Trail. It had a map of the entire trail. Given the state's finances the last few years, I have no idea if it's still avaiable. I'm pretty sure I have several of them stashed away in my office though. I'm working tomorrow, so if you'd like me to drop one in the mail for you, give me a call at Wells Mills Park, 609-971-3085

German

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
How about this? Not sure where I found this... was it posted here before?

Attachments

• batona1.JPG
    batona1.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 1,533

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
This might seem like a rather silly suggestion, but I've hiked the trail both ways, first from Ongs Hat down, then from Lake Absegami up -- and I would be one to suggest the trail be hiked from the south, up. Why? It's simply a matter of seeing what's ahead with a slightly clearer eye -- sun placement, less glare, etc. The brochure German mentions was readily available at Batsto as of a few weeks ago; I'm sure it is still there. Some were also stuffed into flip-top boxes at a couple of points on the trail (I specifically recall seeing some at Ongs Hat). Regarding wet feet, my second trip was taken over this past winter and I remember a few spots where the trail was wet, or outright flooded (leaving little choice but to slish and slosh) -- but I'm sure this is less likely the case in the heat of the summer. The trail is very well maintained (though "overly" blazed in certain sections) and there is a rather boring paved-road two-mile-plus section around Chatsworth, between Rts. 532 & 563 (there may be plans to move this part of the trail into the woods, but, until it is, I won't walk this section again). This section aside, the trail makes for a beautiful, beautiful walk. Go!