The Big Storm

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
Sat.Nov. 25 1950 Was the day of the Big Storm.Were any of you old Piney duck hunters out that day.The storm claimed a few duck hunters.I need help.Do any of you Piney's know were I can get copies of the South Jersey magazine?It was published in Millville N.J. I am interested in a series of story's Memoirs of a Duck Hunter

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
Bill, I may be able to help you out. SJ mag was published for 30 years by Shirley Bailey. Due to some health problems Shirley had to slow down. The mag ceased in April 2003 however the last issue was published in 2002. From the fall of 1999 until the summer of 2002, 12 issues, included an article " Memoirs of a Duck Hunter" by Jonathan W.Kirchhoff. I will make photo copies of the articles if you so desire, I want to retain my originals as I still use them for sites to visit in SJ. Let me know if you want me to copy them and where to send them.

Tony R

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Bill, I'll ask a old duck hunter/writer friend about the series and post back in this thread.

As far as the storm, I don't recall the storm in 1950, but the '62 storm I recall my family making the trip to the shore and seeing the roofs of houses floating out in the ocean.

Here is an excerpt from the book 'Seven Superstorms of the Northeast And Other Blizzards, Hurricanes & Tempests', by James Lincoln Turner.

"Great Appalachian Storm of 1950:
... the storm was to many an exciting dream as they watched from the safety of windows and front porches. The few lingering red and yellow autumn leaves flew against the darkening wisps of the wind-ripped clouds, while the rain, ìlike sheets of glass,î winged down the streets.
Some ventured out, joining neighbors and total strangers at street corners to watch and hear the wind blow in from the ocean in its mysterious way, first with great force down one street, and then as the mortals ducked for cover behind thick holly trees, down their street, each time bending the trees ever lower. Then trees a block or so away reared their darkly twisting forms to face the next, even higher gust.
Troubled souls were briefly released from their problems, their longings, their grief and their heartaches and, losing their inhibitions, talked, laughed, and swapped yarns with friends they had just met, or strangers they had seen, but never spoken to. Some people are rescued in a storm ó others are rescued by one."

rjb

Scout
Oct 11, 2009
south toms river nj usa
The 1950 storm had gusts over 100 mph. I remember the 1962 storm. I think it happened at Easter or very close to it. It tore up the Belmar boardwalk, where I lived at the time. Sand dunes were created on Ocean Ave and much of the boardwalk was splintered.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Bill, I may be able to help you out. SJ mag was published for 30 years by Shirley Bailey. Due to some health problems Shirley had to slow down. The mag ceased in April 2003 however the last issue was published in 2002. From the fall of 1999 until the summer of 2002, 12 issues, included an article " Memoirs of a Duck Hunter" by Jonathan W.Kirchhoff. I will make photo copies of the articles if you so desire, I want to retain my originals as I still use them for sites to visit in SJ. Let me know if you want me to copy them and where to send them.

Tony R

Tony if you end up making copies for Bill, I would love a set, I am missing most of the series , but have a couple from my father-in-law.

I'd be happy to re-imburse you for the copies and postage. Jode

thinkcarefully

Dec 11, 2009
Bill,
I cannot help out with thye magazine mentioned. This is simply family history associated with that storm.

My Uncle Jim was with a group of hunters on the Jersey Shore caught in this storm. Three of the four (including a father and son) died trying to escape the flooding. Uncle Jim was found and rescued after several days. He later died (in January 1951) of complications, leaving my aunt (and godmother) who was expecting their first child in May 1951.