The Bloody Shane, A PBX Hike

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Back on April 4 all the members of PBX received this email from Jeff (Woodjin) about his hike along the Shane Branch. He named it the Bloody Shane because of it's tendency to have briers.

To the troops,

Put on your hip waders and prepare for battle! Running along an ancient cedar swamp and lying a little west of Eagle is the Shane branch. Many moons ago it was converted into a bog system, but now nature has nearly reclaimed it's northern reaches. Let's see whats left before nature swallows it entirely. It will be between 3 and 4 tough and rewarding miles. This isn't much notice, so I am hoping that some can make it. The going might get tough and things could turn bloody. So if you don't mind spilling a little blood, be at Friendship Saturday April 16th at 9am.

Unfortunately, on April 16th the weather was not cooperating so the date was changed to today. We all arrived at Friendship and took Bob's vehicle past Eagle to the beginning of the Shane Branch. This branch begins in the Parker Preserve about 1.5 miles NNW of Eagle and travels all the way to slightly south of Friendship. On this hike was Jeff (woodjin) who designed it, Tom (long-a-coming), Bob (bobpbx), Chris (Hewey), and myself.

We started our day at the very source at the following link location. The first photo below shows us there, with Bob describing what is happening underneath the ground around us.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.7867743395444&lng=-74.57581758499146&z=16&type=h&gpx=

IMG_7350.JPG

The stream near the source.

IMG_7357.JPG

As we head south towards Friendship it changes somewhat.

IMG_7360.JPG

A bridge most likely made by a hunter.

IMG_7362.JPG

Jeff found this turtle.

IMG_7363.JPG

At times it became quite hard to navigate.

IMG_7365.JPG

One of many old weirs that still exist between the bogs.

IMG_7367.JPG

A nice sandy bottom in places.

IMG_7369.JPG

Quite a few nice views along it.

IMG_7374.JPG

IMG_7375.JPG

Another weir.

IMG_7377.JPG

Bob actually fell between these two cedars.

IMG_7378.JPG

Bob surveying his kingdom.

IMG_7384.JPG

Jeff and Chris almost to Friendship.

IMG_7394.JPG

The final moments of the hike.

IMG_7399.JPG

Our group photo at the end in Friendship.

IMG_7400.JPG

Our tracks.

shane.jpg

Video.

Bob and I discuss if the rest of them will be able to make it across the water they will be coming to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snqS7OKAbn0

After realizing they will make it we moved forward. There are unseen depressions along the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng2Ff3WufO0

And the final push just before Friendship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK-JtH4iFZs

Because of the perfect day, Jeff's great design, and the many nice places we visited along the way, I rated this a 9.5 out of 10. The Bloody Shane can take my blood anytime!

Guy

Reactions: dogg57

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You can see marks on my camera lens in the video's. I believe they are from me hitting the objects I have tried to use the macro on. I am going to have to get a new camera one of these days.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nice report as usual Guy. What a pleasant surprise this trip was. I was sure we'd be beating back briars half the day....all sweaty and cursing. But it was really nothing like that. A 70 degree day with a nice mixture of sun and clouds, 5 miles of swamp, interesting topography, and good freinds. How can you beat that? I felt like a kid exploring the wilds of NJ for the first time yesterday. I gave it a 9.8.

I'll try to do some photos tonite. I have a couple videos, but too big for here.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Jeff really put together a great hike for us! The weather was perfect! We saw some real nice country along the Shane Branch. It was one wet hike! Hippers were a must for this one!

Towards the head waters of the Shane.
348.jpg

The Shane flowing through the cedar.
368.jpg

Guy loves his treestands but this one was unsafe and Guy did not climb onto the platform.
364.jpg

I did find a stand on the edge of a bog that was safe. A view of Jeff and the bog from the stand.
366.jpg

Bob educating us on the sedges growing in the bog system.
357.jpg

Bob and Guy catching up to us after Jeff, Tom and I found it passable.
378.jpg

A nice swamp we passed through.
353.jpg

The flooded swamp we went through almost out to Friendship. It felt like a bald cypress swamp of the south.
385.jpg

Tom almost over the top of his hippers. I went over the top at this crossing as I found a hole to step in.
382.jpg

A find almost at the end. The remains of the Jersey Devil?
383.jpg

Chris

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice Chris! Thanks for sharing them. I especially like the second one.

Guy