The bridge to nowhere

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
If notified, Google should have updated their maps, but I think the bigger fault lies with those who should have been responsible for closing, signage and blocking that bridge from even being able to drive on.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
As a moderator for many years at GPSReview, I saw more than my share of "the gps made me do it!" threads and never had much sympathy. As a driver, it's your responsibility to use reasonable caution. This case is certainly a tragedy and I'll wait for the courts to decide if Google has any liability. But, just reading quickly about this incident, evidently the bridge had been out for a very long time (as much as 10 years?) but there was no barricade or even warning signs . If so, then whoever owns the bridge or road would appear to be extremely negligent.

Regardless, this is a perfect example of why boydsmaps.com will never offer routing/driving directions. Too much exposure to this kind of problem.

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
If notified, Google should have updated their maps, but I think the bigger fault lies with those who should have been responsible for closing, signage and blocking that bridge from even being able to drive on.
Google rarely changes anything it seems.

Scroggy

Scout
Jul 5, 2022
Delaware
I suspect Google is included in the lawsuit because they have deep pockets, and could be persuaded to settle for a modest sum rather than bring stats about their error-correction program into court. (They probably do correct quite a bit, although I am pretty sure I can find them showing some through routes in my area that are no longer so, and their search is not what it used to be...but that's another story.)

From the WaPo article, the original private development corporation that owned the road dissolved, and the local officials don't seem to be quite clear who owns title to it now. Out in the country, I would expect that this is normally taken care of by the township roadmaster dumping a berm across the road and driving away; the fact that he didn't hints to me that the de facto owners would have sued and/or shot him if he tried. (Or maybe he's just not very on the ball.) But there doesn't seem to be any prominent posting of the road as private, from what little I can see in that photo; having an unposted road on your property that in all respects appears to be public and leads to a broken bridge seems grossly negligent.

Reactions: TommyP and Boyd

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
If Google was told, they share responsibility with the road owner. They'll close a donut shop's entry in Google Maps in 2 days if you report it.
Whereas I've tried to move a washed out road so it directs you to the go-around, and that's ignored.