The call of the wild

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
My new house resides on the boarder of Whaton SF. and behind me is about 200-300 acres of privately owned woods. Beyond that is farmland. I have been hearing coyote yelps in the night from the yard, but there are some dogs about a mile away that also make some distant noise at the same time.

Last week I was outside at about 1:30 am. It was dead quiet. I mean deafening quiet. There are no street lights so no ambiant light and the stars were amazing. Then, I heard a single coyote howl. It was the classic howl one associates with the breed. One or two short barks and then the long howl that descends midway through into a gravelly decay. Wow! It sparks something primal and instinctive in a man when he hears that. It was unsettling with it's errie-ness but altogether beautiful at the same time. After several minutes and repeatitions the beauty of it won over the errie-ness. I have heard this howl on recordings and tv and perhaps at a great distance before, but this was pretty close. It was very cool!

Jeff

ChrisNJ

Explorer
Jan 31, 2006
Medford
That sounds like an awesome experience to remembered for life Jeff, thanks for sharing.

Hey Bob can you introduce me to Tina ?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The first coyotes I heard in NJ were about 10 years ago near Wescoat bogs.
It was a cold, quiet and dark morning and a friend of mine and I were setting up tree stands about an hour before dawn for deer.
The coyotes were off in the distance near the river and it was an awesome sound.
It made that favorite area of mine feel like the Yukon for a brief moment.
I have dabbled in coyote hunting the last few years here and in Pa. with no success.
I will be at it again this year and enjoying an extended season in the winter woods.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
While I have heard the classic Howl in the Poconos and in Assinpink WMA [take that suburbanites!] and it always stirrs up something primal in my soul, I have to say It's alot harder to see a live coyote when afield. I've see alot while deer hunting but usually after they saw or smelled me and there was never a chance at a rifle shot, in PA 'yotes are legal game almost anytime, 'cept on Sunday.

Just after last christmas I was up the cabin a few days for the winter flintlock season [I feel that I just have to use Dad's old flinter but I've only shot it to empty it out so far!] and I was walking back to where I had parked when I stoped on a ridge top and rested on a big rock. I started to hear two or three coyotes hunting something. I could actually hear the chasing 'yote change between them and I was hoping I could actually see them but the chase turned away. I would have had a grandstand seat if they had entered the valley I was viewing...Like Scott said, an excuse to get back out in the woiods...

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Just saw a striking coyote on the ac expressway around mays landing. It was heading towards some deer on the opposite side of the road. A more tawny color but a very healthy looking creature. These guys in my opinion are really growing in population size big time, I'm seeing signs of them in almost every southern county. Know a guy who caught one on his spy cam just around cherry hill.

kayakinglady

Oct 3, 2007
waterford nj
I live on the edge of the wharton SF and i to have heard coyote. My husband has a body sensor camera, we placed it in the woods off of rt 206 by a deer carcass, and sure enough we got pictures of coyotes. Theres more out there than you can imagine.

kayakinglady

Nov 8, 2007
I live on the edge of the wharton SF and i to have heard coyote. My husband has a body sensor camera, we placed it in the woods off of rt 206 by a deer carcass, and sure enough we got pictures of coyotes. Theres more out there than you can imagine.

kayakinglady

Wow! any chance you could post those pics?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I have one of those cameras also. I've used it on a number of locations in some very remote areas and have been surprised by how little I have caught on film (well, it is digital but you know what I mean). I am going to try putting it out again.

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
My ex belongs to Garden State Gun Club up in Sooy Place. He was talking to some hunter who killed a coyote. This guy discovered a tag in its ear and called the number on the tag. He got some guy in Texas. Here this guy claims to be the biggest supplier of coyotes for the state of New Jersey. He didn't say how much the state actually pays him per coyote, but that fact would be very interesting.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
My ex belongs to Garden State Gun Club up in Sooy Place. He was talking to some hunter who killed a coyote. This guy discovered a tag in its ear and called the number on the tag. He got some guy in Texas. Here this guy claims to be the biggest supplier of coyotes for the state of New Jersey. He didn't say how much the state actually pays him per coyote, but that fact would be very interesting.

I suspect that the hunter or the guy he called are not being totally truthful. The eastern coyote is significantly different than the western coyote so he could not be supplying native texas coyotes. Also, I highly doubt the state has any interest in purchasing coyotes. What would be the motivation for the state to buy coyotes?

Jeff

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I suspect that the hunter or the guy he called are not being totally truthful. The eastern coyote is significantly different than the western coyote so he could not be supplying native texas coyotes. Also, I highly doubt the state has any interest in purchasing coyotes. What would be the motivation for the state to buy coyotes?
Jeff

Ditto.
Any motives would be to eradicate some other problem (I.E., some troublesome critter a Cayoot would Supp on) but the research involved as to environmental impact would be significant enough to be logged somewhere credible. If we've got our own, why import? Might want to question that one, and not to levy another question on him but... Would not GERMANG be in a position to be informed on this issue?

g.

Nov 27, 2007
Stockton College

Jeff

controlling deer population i would imagine.. we've eliminated so many of their predators. i think it'd be a good idea to bring some back.