The Cicadas Are Coming Back

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Now that it’s spring, there’s an animal ready to come up out of the ground … and it’s not a groundhog. It’s the cicada. Or rather, it’s thousands of cicadas.Cicadas are food for many creatures including, deer, squirrel, dogs, cats, and yes, people.
Yes, 17 years has gone by that fast! It seems like just two years ago I was crunching the giant dead bugs under my feet when I walked.
As reported in USA Today, the cicadas are set for a major emergence all along the East Coast. The next few weeks will see the bugs coming up in the Carolinas, and as the temperature increases, so will the presence of cicadas everywhere up the Atlantic coastline.
Even New York City should see a lot of the insects. They have been seen in the Bronx in previous years, and this year, a bumper crop might lead them to be seen all over the city. The cicadas emerge primarily to mate, and they have about four weeks to do so before they die.
No wonder they’re heading to the city. Everyone knows that’s where all the single ladies go when they want to meet and get busy.
Cicadas are harmless bug, but they look scary. At least, they do to me. And they sound scary, too. Especially when they buzz right in your ear and you feel them clumsily bump into your cheek or get kind of caught in your hair. Then you shake your head and wave your hands around, and then scream, and then maybe you even run around in a zig zag pattern waving and yelping until you’re sure the poor bug has left you.(Pam Lobley)

http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/state/will-this-bug-you-the-cicadas-are-coming-back

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I ran into a seventeen year cicada outbreak in Arkansas a couple years ago.They were everywhere.From the mountain top the valley sounded like some kind of strange siren.when down in the valley with them it was deafening.They were landing on me.At first Momma was afeared of them till i showed her they were not humongous biting flies.I got quite a few great pics of one very friendly individual.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yes Boyd we have brood 2 coming out here this year and in 2021 we have brood X coming out.what number is that 10?
I have brood maps in Lang Elliot and Will Hershberger's "Song of Insects" book.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
I remember a huge emergence in the mid or late 1970's up in North Jersey when I was a kid but I don't recall a major swarm since then. I hear plenty of them every year in August though. I kinda' figured they had come to a more steady-state emergence ratio or something. I want to be excited about it and I will be curious to see how many are out!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
what your hearing every year are other types of Cicadas,not the seventeen year variety.The 17 year guys have a very distinctive song.Sounds almost electronic.I hear swamp cicadas every year at home and dusk calling cicadas.In the hot dry Barrens Hieroglyphic cicadas are common.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
http://www.cicadamania.com/where.html

Brood II map

Cicada_Brood_II.gif

KEEP-CALM.png

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Ewwwww......I HATE them! I remember growing up in upstate NY when the cycle hit us.... My dad used to go around spraying ether on the cocoons and then lighting them on fire.... OMG, they were everywhere! Dad used to spray the eaves around the garage, they would fall and we would have a BBQ. Not sure how we never had a major catastrophe with fire engines, emergency personnel, etc!