The Cranberry Packing House At Hampton Park

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Guy,
Thanks for connecting with a piece of history that may have been lost had it not been for your love of the area and your keen sense of discovery/exploration. However you managed to come about the photos is a gift for all of us to see! Thanks for keeping it alive.

turtle

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

Yes it was. Notice the woods right in front of the packing house? That is Wharton's property and so they can't cut the trees. All they owned was the wide area that is cleared in that area, and then they owned the wetlands all the way up and across Carranza road in one area. It was certainly purchased for cranberry use.

They are really made Historical Aerial pretty useless for looking for odd things in the woods. Those bars which Jessica calls "parking spaces" really are a distraction. I know they want us to buy the maps but it seems to me frustration would be high enough for the casual user to bail out on the site.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We are still looking for the property corners for the Hampton Park property discussed above, and our first stop was right along Carranza Road at the first bridge past the Wharton border coming from Tabernacle. The Batsto flows under this bridge and If you visit there in the future look over the south side of the railing and you will see the stone located there.

IMG_5994.JPG

We then were disappointed at three other locations where there still is a possibility that at one or two of them we just did not try hard enough. However, at the next location after circling for a while I used my metal walking stick to find a deeply embedded stone. This one was well covered and is not going anywhere, and it's one that nobody would be searching for in the future since it is not on the Wharton boundary. A lost stone basically.

IMG_59970000.JPG

Four feet away and still hard to find.

IMG_6000.JPG

Then off to an old well hidden unused bridge and dam right near Hampton Furnace. Al stumbled on this last week. This is the canal that the parents of the man who gave us the above photo's built. I can now see that when they did not want the water to flow into the bogs from the Batsto River, this canal diverted the flow along this route. For this reason the state was not happy, and eventually by Eminent Domain took the property from them to stop this alteration of the flow.

IMG_6002.JPG

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Guy
were there clues to guide you to the buried stone or did you just get lucky stabbing in the area? 4 ft away on your gps....how close was your accuracy?I can very seldom attain better then 16 ft accuracy on mine.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy
were there clues to guide you to the buried stone or did you just get lucky stabbing in the area? 4 ft away on your gps....how close was your accuracy?I can very seldom attain better then 16 ft accuracy on mine.
Al

No clues. The place was full of pine needles so I walked around in circles and my GPS kept bringing me back to one location. So I stood there and looked around and there were a few area's of needles that seemd higher than others so I poked at them. One should never stone hunt without a metal walking stick. :)

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Now Bob, try this:

http://www.historicaerials.com/aeri...7695892936919&lon=-74.6799484162733&year=1940

Oh hell, I give up. I was trying to show you the 1940 of Dover Forge, but I could not. I keep linking to Hampton. Weird.

now this is cool.never checked out hampton furnace on historical aerials before.i never realized that stuff was so recent till Guy posted about the Rider Clayberger thing.I thought it was much older.in the filed there is actually the stone stepping stones to a front door left in place.
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
No clues. The place was full of pine needles so I walked around in circles and my GPS kept bringing me back to one location. So I stood there and looked around and there were a few area's of needles that seemd higher than others so I poked at them. One should never stone hunt without a metal walking stick. :)

Guy

I intend to invent a "Stone Detector" don't know how yet but I have the idea anyway:)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
You have a remarkable memory Tom:).thats not the only stone I found with my knee.I triangulated a possible buried stone position once from paint blazes on trees.I dropped to one knee to start stabbing the ground with my knife to find the stone and I found it quite painfully with my knee.It was under just a smattering of dirt and was sharp to boot.I now have a poker I can use from a standing position:)
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
now this is cool.never checked out hampton furnace on historical aerials before.i never realized that stuff was so recent till Guy posted about the Rider Clayberger thing.I thought it was much older.in the filed there is actually the stone stepping stones to a front door left in place.
Al

Once Al and I check all the locations near the packing house for stones, I will posts the tracks showing the property lines in that area. This property has a very strange layout.

Guy

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009
Great post. My great-great grandfather, Leon Brown, was born here at Hampton around 1860, his father Joshua Brown was involved with sales for the cranberry operation. They then moved to Decosta some years later to a cedar-sided house my parents restored and still stands in great condition today on Weymouth Rd.