The Emma Cramer and Garfield Broome Stones

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Deep in the woods in the Martha/Harrisville area, there is a rectangular tract of land that once was owned by an Emma Cramer and Garfield Broome. I suspect they were brother and sister. On the property line were two stones that for years I have been wanting to look for but for various reasons I have not. One reason was I had scouted the location out before and noticed it was all briers, something that any sane individual would want to avoid. I knew though it was only a matter of time before the urge overtook me to go there, and today I did just that. With Jessica being under the weather I figured only my blood would be shed so why not give it a try.

Notice the stones circled in red.

IMG_7742.jpg

I decided to try traveling a cedar swamp, and in the end it was a good move. Not only did I move along quite well and keep all my blood, I had a few nice views along the way.

IMG_3159.JPG

IMG_3162.JPG

I finally made it to the location of the first stone, and started poking around with my metal walking stick. In no time at all I located it completely hidden underground.

IMG_3165.JPG

You have to realize all I know about the stone is what you see in the map above, so I was completely taken by surprise on what came to view as I cleaned away the dirt.

The letters must stand for A. Garfield Broome.

IMG_3171.JPG

IMG_3172.JPG

I can say with confidence I most likely am the first person to see that stone in over a half century, and as I covered it over and prepared to head to the next one I was excited. Could there be two? So off I went to the second location and again I quickly found the stone completely covered over as the first.

IMG_3181.JPG

But this one was not incised on the top which was somewhat disapointing. However, closer inspection revealed that there may be initials on the side, and without a shovel I had to rely on my hands to get to them.

IMG_3184.JPG

And sure enough his initials were there again.

IMG_3182.JPG

I began to think that maybe there was something on the other side, but my hands were so sore I hated to continue. There was no way I could leave without checking so I filled in the one side and started on the next. My digging soon reveled what I believe may be the initials of Emma (Broome) Cramer.

IMG_3188.JPG

There is a posibility the first stone has initials on the sides, so a return trip is in order. This time I will bring a small shovel and check them both over closely. I will keep you all informed.

On the way home I visited their property to see what made them think it was worth owning.

IMG_3190.JPG

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jim,

She is feeling better.

Bob... I am betting it was a cranberry bog. There is a berm completely around it. I see evidence that someone has been there in the more recent past, most likely a hunter. They cleared away one of the berms somewhat. But there is no way they ever saw the stones

Guy

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Those are beautiful swamp photos, Guy; it looks like a great trip. An exciting find! You've probably explained this somewhere, but how did they put their initials on the stones?

Glo

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Those are beautiful swamp photos, Guy; it looks like a great trip. An exciting find! You've probably explained this somewhere, but how did they put their initials on the stones?

Glo

I would guess they just chiseled them in. Most likely the surveyor they hired.

BTW, a quick check of a source came up with this possible info on Emma Cramer. I have no idea if it is her.

At Bordentown, December 1st, 1886, Nicholas Muller, of New York, and Emma Cramer, daughter of Capt. H.L. Cramer, of Bordentown

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice find Guy, I'm glad all those years of putting this one off finally came to fruition with such rewards. So it looks like they were in the cranberry business, that bog is reclaimed (by nature) huh? Reminds me of a bog I found off of Moores meadow where the only tell tale sign was the berm.

Jeff

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
That is a very neat find Guy! Completly buried too, sometimes I think you're the CSI of property stones! Looks like that would have been a neat piece of Jersey to raise some berries on. I'm guessing since the berm was in place, they did live there for some time. Any evidence of where a house or cabin would have been located?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jess and I headed out today to look for a few more property stones, and came up with three of them from the Bulltown property the state purchased in 2000.

IMG_3197.JPG

This one was just laying there.

IMG_3202.JPG

IMG_3207.JPG

That area has some really large cedar trees.

IMG_3198.JPG

This one had an old deer stand made of a 50 gallon "drum and a half" welded together. The bottom had rotted out but amazingly the rope was still intact and stretched to it's limits. That was as high as she would go :)

IMG_3208.JPG

Guy