The green fog has begun

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Started about a week ago down here, but nothing too bad yet - hardly anything on the car this morning. Yesterday, I saw a guy riding a bicycle near my home and he was wearing a dust mask..

T

Toothy Critter

This old fart actually remembered to start with allergy pills and spray BEFORE the onslaught. Here's hoping

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I read an interesting article last year - I think it was a link that somebody posted here. It said that pine pollen was the visible evidence that we see, but it probably wasn't what makes us sneeze. It went on to explain that pine pollen is relatively big and heavy, so it falls quickly, heavily coats everything and doesn't travel very far. But the main irritants are the smaller types of pollen from other trees that come at the same time of the year, stay airborne longer and travel long distances.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I read an interesting article last year - I think it was a link that somebody posted here. It said that pine pollen was the visible evidence that we see, but it probably wasn't what makes us sneeze. It went on to explain that pine pollen is relatively big and heavy, so it falls quickly, heavily coats everything and doesn't travel very far. But the main irritants are the smaller types of pollen from other trees that come at the same time of the year, stay airborne longer and travel long distances.

Fortunately it has never affected me, just a nuisance and changing the car filters.

Tennessee early April this year.

T

Toothy Critter

My whole life I was never allergic to anything but work. When I got in my mid 60's I developed an allergic reaction to one specific pollen but I don't know what it is. It only lasts a few weeks and its gone. So I take OTC stuff for a short while. As for the allergy to work, I found a cure for that too... I quit and retired

Reactions: Boyd and 46er

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Could it be all the rains are keeping the 'Green' at bay? Just very minor dustings, but the catkins came down heavy over the weekend.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Haven't seen any new green dust either yesterday or today, so maybe it's over? If so, this would be one of the lightest years that I can recall - no complaints there! But... what does it say about the state of the pine trees? And is the lack of pollen related to this?

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/rain.11445/page-17#post-152195

I'm into botany, and noticed that there are still many plants I study that are behind in seed maturity. Something is up. A change is coming.

Or this?

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/rain.11445/page-20#post-152854

There have been virtually no acorns at all in my oak-pine woods this year. The difference is really striking compared to other years, almost never heard them dropping on the roof or car.

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
But... what does it say about the state of the pine trees? And is the lack of pollen related to this?

Most or our pollen comes from Oaks as I have very few pines left from the beetle invasion. A couple of nice sized ones hang on, but the tell tale holes are there. Some white pine I planted as seedlings are doing well, candles on almost every branch. I think the pollen is there, just that the rains have washed it, same with the catkins, lots on the ground and rain gutters but hardly any falling today. The Jeep is a very light green.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Well, it sure seems to be over here, no new pollen on the car today. I'd say this is dramatically less than we usually get. I live in an oak-pine forest, so plenty of that here too. But not bad this year, have had very few problems with allergies. Mowed the lawn first thing this morning and it didn't bother me at all. There are "candles" on the pines here, but they look a lot smaller than usual. But things bloomed late this year, so maybe it's just early? But they don't look as robust as usual to me. Now I am actually out in the middle of the woods, so I'm not surprised if conditions are different in the suburbs.

Found a few old threads. Last year was bad, this thread started on May 15 and pollen reports continued through June 3. https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/pine-pollen.12594/

I thought that 2014 was light, but Bob was miserable anyway. :) https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/allergies.9961/

2012 was bad. Thread started May 4 and "no relief in sight" on May 29. https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/pollen.8272/

So, perhaps it's still a little too early for the "all clear" signal? But it sure seems unusally light to me. And I'm thankful for that. :)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Today is our worst day yet in Bamber. Awful.

BTW: I lost my allergies! I'm not kidding. Knock on wood. Did not have any last year either.

Reactions: Boyd

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
So, perhaps it's still a little too early for the "all clear" signal? But it sure seems unusally light to me. And I'm thankful for that. :)

It opened up this morning when the winds began; you can see it in the air, just like the good old days. The asphalt is turning a paler shade of green, the windows are closed and the Jeeps ventilation has been turned to recycle. So much for my rain theory clearing things out. :rolleyes:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Glad to be in the Southern Pines today. Absolutely nothing here, and the winds are a-blowin' strong. :) Hosed the car down after mowing the lawn since it kicked up a lot of dust. It is still spotless, without even a hint of pollen.