Sep 17, 2002
I see you like roller derby. The girls are nice also :D

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Thanks. I primarily use Instagram for most of my random "out and about" camera phone pics. My "fine art" stuff is either up on my website or on my Tumblr.

I've all but abandoned Flickr at this point.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I recently created a website for my work though: http://boydostroff.com
Boyd, your set and light design for "Il Trovatore (2003)" is incredible. I have pondered the ephemral nature of dance, and singing, but your work transcends an audience viewing it in the theatre. At first glance it seems influenced by the Matrix or Blade Runner, and the 3D and especially "color of light" are masterful. I intend to spend some time looking at your website. Maestro!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Thanks a lot Jon. :)

It was conceived as a science fiction version of Trovatore, and was on-again-off-again over a period of years. It started as something completely abstract - doing whatever I wanted with 3d modelling, then calling it Trovatore, but it gradually took shape. We were certainly influenced by those films, also The Road Warrior. The version of Romeo and Juliet (Capuleti/Montecchi) Kay and I did was heavily influenced by Soylent Green…. I got her interested in Science Fiction ;)

When Trovatore finally got the green light, some board members were concerned it might be too weird, and we had to make a lot of changes. By the time it opened, we wondered if we should have walked when they told us to change it. Doing scenery, lighting and video at the same time as managing the technical department for the whole company really stretched me to the limit, I was just glad to survive the experience.

I put the whole thing behind me and didn't look at it for 12 years, until I built the website. Today I can be more objective, and it was good to go through all that old stuff. Glad you enjoyed it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon Holcombe