The John Rutherford Tract Project

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes I left it uncovered. Nobody will ever see it. That place is really remote. I did not have any bugs on me this weekend.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We are having a tough time finding the stones along the south side of the Chamberlain. That area has been logged extensively and when that occurs I rarely find them. It is early in the season so I am not giving up yet. Today, we looked for two stones far up the Chamberlain which required us to walk 1.5 miles each way. The section along the Chamberlain was tough.

Our first location is described:

South fifty nine degrees fifteen minutes West eleven chains eighty eight links to a stone in the southeasterly edge of the cedars at the lower side of the southeasterly end of the Hollingshead causeway.

The Rutherford survey describes it as being in the cedars so they both are similar. There are ruins of a very old gun club there forgotten in time and rarely visited and the stone is close by in the cedars. I was also interested in finding the Hollingshead causeway mentioned in both of the survey's I have been using. This survey actually says Dutchman's Road was sometimes called Hollingshead. In any event, the road crossed the Chamberlain at Hollingshead Causeway and the map in the survey actually shows it.

IMG_1467a.jpg

And this appears to be all that remains of the Hollingshead causeway.

IMG_1464a.jpg

So we were at the correct location but the stone was elusive. So we moved on through the cedars to the next one. Unfortunately, I had it in my head that the stone was at the "foot of the upland" and we searched in the wrong spot. Actually, the survey says "stones."

Here is the description.

South twelve degrees West eight chains ninety three links to a pine stump and "stones" on the upland at the edge of the swamp.

And as I mentioned above I searched at the foot of the upland and not on the upland even though Jessica was wanting me to look at things a little higher up. I should have listened to her. Anyway, we were unsuccessful and will return.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I returned today to look for the stones on the South side of the Chamberlain and was again unsuccessful. That area is very dense. However, during the 1958/1959 survey of Greenwood a concrete monument was placed on what I believe is the line just north of the Cherry Valley Branch for reasons I do not exactly know. We pushed our way from the Cherry Valley Branch to the area I expected it to be located and upon arrival this was the view.

IMG_1523a.jpg

IMG_1526a.jpg

Notice the nail about an inch off center. I am dealing with a GPS that is plus or minus 20 feet and they believe the monument was an inch off center. I need a better GPS :D

IMG_1529a.jpg

Guy

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Guy, first off your dedication to finding stones and sharing them is unique and outstanding. I do need some clarification though. You mentioned cherry valley branch a few times and I have no idea where that is. I am probably overlooking something however I cannot find it on any topo or recall seeing it anywhere. Thanks for sharing your work with all us.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, first off your dedication to finding stones and sharing them is unique and outstanding. I do need some clarification though. You mentioned cherry valley branch a few times and I have no idea where that is. I am probably overlooking something however I cannot find it on any topo or recall seeing it anywhere. Thanks for sharing your work with all us.

The Cherry Valley Branch is a very small branch that you most likely will not find on any map. I have only found references to it on old survey documents. The 1859 Edward Brinley survey goes even further back in time and tells us that it formally was called the Naked Branch.

cv.jpg

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Thanks Guy for teaching me something new. You and I have discussed that area previously regarding something else.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Went looking for a few Rutherford corners and was not able to find them today. I did find a monument on what I believe is the line but as of yet I am uncertain.

IMG_1121a.jpg

I traveled to the south side of the stream looking for stones that may help me find Rutherford stones in the future. This particular location is along a cut and after searching a little while I noticed this. I am uncertain of the history of this stone.

IMG_1122a.jpg

IMG_1124a.jpg

At the next location we noticed an old tree with three blazes from a surveyor in the past. This stone must be deep underground and we will have to return and dig about where my walking stick is.

IMG_1129a.jpg

We saw quite a few ATV and unregistered motorcycles today. The ATV's were doing doughnuts really tearing up the road we were on. If they just would not do things such as that they would not have half the problem that they bring on themselves. They were parked on NJCF land and tearing that up also.

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Hey Guy,
Where do you link these photos from? After Photobucke shanghaied all my old photos I need a new place to link from.Found a real nice incised stone today and would like to link to it from the web rather then just upload thumbnails.That way I can describe the adventure associated with each stone photo better.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Years ago Ben gave me storage on the site.

Do it this way. Type what you want about one photo and when finished hit the return key. Then drag the photo in and choose "Full Image." Then hit the return key a few times and type about your next photo. Hit the return key and drag in the photo and choose "Full Image." Repeat until you are finished.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I explored the vast remote sections of forest behind the Ocean County Landfill today looking for Rutherford stones or monuments. If you have never been out there you may want to spend a day walking the road that runs between Jones Road and Wells Mill Road and also the Cave Cabin Branch and the Long Branch. It is one of the remote places you will find in the pines. I spent about 4 hours walking the trails and survey lines and had a great time today.

Anyway, I have narrowed down one section of the Rutherford Line and found this monument along it.

IMG_1134a.jpg

I passed this along the way and did not notice it. On the way out I discovered it. I typed one of my email addresses into my phone and flashed it in front of the camera. If they could read it maybe I will hear back from them. The camera was not locked but I bet they figured nobody would be where it was located.

IMG_1140a.jpg

I wandered down from the upland and visited the "Long Branch."

IMG_1138a.jpg

It appears that in 2011 Ocean Township divided the landfill property up and gave the northern section to the DEP. That is the section north of the "Long Branch." About 175 or so acres we now own and can legally explore. It is remote enough they did not even waste their time putting up state signs and you are hard pressed to find trash of any sort.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica was in Philly today so I spent all morning and early afternoon looking for Rutherford stones. I explored in the woods near the old Tuckerton RR tracks and them drove over to Black's Bridge to search there. I had searched pretty extensively back in 2012 in the Blacks Bridge area but decided to take a second look. I worked my way past each location that I had calculated back in 2012 even visiting the stones I had found before. I took new photo's of the surrounding area making it easier for me to find them if need be in the future. One good photo of the trees nearby is worth a thousand GPS coordinates especially when the stones are underground. Anyway, while looking for the stone on the 23RD course of the Rutherford survey I was surprised that I finally found it. This is also a stone in the Thomas Black survey. It turns out I was about 45 feet off which tells me that I was quite a ways off when looking for the other stones. One is an inscribed "B" (Thomas Black) stone so I will recalculate and return soon.

I used the 23RD course to find it.

IMG_1212.jpg
'

IMG_1198a.jpg

This will help if I return later.

IMG_1204a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I had taken down my dash cam while parked near Blacks Bridge and upon leaving I forgot to put it back up. I had just crossed Black's Bridge and passed through the Eureka Gun Club property and was coming into a curve when an ATV with a man and his son on it came flying around the corner. When the kid on the back saw me I could hear him screaming thinking he was going to die. I moved as fast as I could to the right and he moved to my left and he skimmed by my car with inches to spare. And as he passed me I could hear him throttle up and he kept going at top speed. I recovered from my surprise only to have 10 seconds later another one round the next corner coming at me at full speed. There were two adult men on a Polaris and they like the first one was accelerating as they past by me. It was an insane speed for them to be traveling at.

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I had the same thing happen to me in an unmarked Enduro on Hampton Furnace road about 15 years ago.Ran me right off the road into a ditch,the suv"s maiden barrens voyage too.I could have swore I snapped an axle but I didn't.I found out later from a friend in a rival Enduro club that that particular club is known for never posting guards for their enduros.A whole line of em came barrel assing around a sharp bend and I don't know how several of em didn't eat my windshield.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

We returned today to look for the same stones I looked for last week. With last weeks find I was able to recalculate the location of the unfound Rutherford stones in that area along a tributary of the Chamberlain near Blacks Bridge. Even though the new location for "Course 24" is only 33 feet away it did not surprise me that even if it was there I would have missed it last week. The area can be tricky to search in.

The new location about 33 feet away.

32.jpg

The morning sun was extremely helpful allowing Jessica to show me up as she likes to do. In short order she found it about 40 feet away from my search location last week. It is fairly large and did not move at all when I pushed on it.

IMG_1580a.jpg

IMG_1582a.jpg

Rutherford Course 24 as well as one of the Thomas Black Survey stones.

IMAG0072a.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We explored along the margins of the Cherry Valley Branch at the Chamberlain this morning and came up empty. The weather out that way was cloudy all morning and my wife said it was nice and sunny here. We had very little wind there so it was bearable. The thermometer was reading 21.

IMG_1238a.jpg

Reactions: manumuskin