The Ladies and the Snake

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica and I visited the location where we found multiple Pink Lady Slippers yesterday. Many of them are very small, with only one somewhat developed. It is not yet pink.

Starting to grow

IMG_1692.JPG

Rabbit Ears

IMG_1685.JPG

IMG_1687.JPG

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1699.JPG

On our travels Jessica heard a noise in the woods and in the end we found our fist Pine Snake this year. It was over 4 feet long!

IMG_1704.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG

Up till now Jessica gave the outing a solid 10, but unfortunately this next photo knocks it down a few points. Don’t click on this link if you don’t want to view a dead snake.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/05102009/IMG_1707.JPG

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Nice photo Guy...its a real cool feeling to hear those big heavy snakes lumber around vegatation. Glad you found a live one....the 6ft dead one I found on the road was brutal...my 2nd DOR pine this year...fortunately this one was a male.

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
As Grendel said, that snake's a beauty. I've read about pine snakes but haven't seen one up so close. Aren't they threatened or endangered? Did it hiss?

Thanks for the lady slippers too. I think they're prettiest when just emerging, as you caught them.

Glo

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
Amazing pics of the pine snake, i have yet to see one in person but am waiting my turn, Patiently

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As Grendel said, that snake's a beauty. I've read about pine snakes but haven't seen one up so close. Aren't they threatened or endangered? Did it hiss?

Thanks for the lady slippers too. I think they're prettiest when just emerging, as you caught them.

Glo

This one did not hiss. I found one a few years back that sure did. Harley's had scared it and I followed it into the woods. It was not happy!

Guy

Great pics on the Pine snake. Sorry about your other snake, but some people seem to have an anger if they see any snake within range. I see them on the back roads and most of the time (especially this time of year) they are vulnerable due to the fact that they are trying to get heated up on the asphalt. I've on occasion, walked up to within a foot or two before they came out of thier comotose state and gone back in the vegitation. I do the same for turtles and stop and pick them up to get them out of traffic. A few years back I got up on a (unknown to me at the time) rattler. That was exciting! Even with bad knees, I think I moved faster than he (or she) did!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"God gave me a list of things to accomplish while I'm here - I'm so far behind I'll never die!"

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

Glo

pine snakes are on the threatened list Glo.not as bad as endangered but their habitat should be protected.they will only live in areas of sugar sand so are strictly a barrens snake.the dead snak was a black rat and quite common.an everywhere snake that likes to climb trees and gets over six feet long as the pine snake does too.pine snakes like to go underground and rat snakes are climbers.rat snakes are elaphe genus and pines are pituophis,at least today anyway.zoologists change latin names like the rest of do our clothes:)
Al

hootinouts

May 24, 2009
Black Snake Stowaway

This morning I came accross a Black snake attempting to cross Garden Road just East of Route 55. I pulled my car over on the shoulder near the snake that was just lying there in the Westbound lane. I assessed that it was not injured so I got out and looked around to see if I could find a thin dead tree branch along the road with which to caox it off the road. Before I could do that it turned and made a hasty retreat under my car. When I knelt down to look under I saw the snake disappearing up inside the undercarriage of my car. I swear the snake climbed up into the framework of my car. Since I couldn't stay where I was I decided to continue on my drive home. I figured the snake would come out later and find a new home. Unfortunately, not even a minute later I heard a thump and in my rear view mirror saw the snake disappear under the tires of a car behind me. So much for my attempt to do a good deed. :bang:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This morning I came accross a Black snake attempting to cross Garden Road just East of Route 55. I pulled my car over on the shoulder near the snake that was just lying there in the Westbound lane. I assessed that it was not injured so I got out and looked around to see if I could find a thin dead tree branch along the road with which to caox it off the road. Before I could do that it turned and made a hasty retreat under my car. When I knelt down to look under I saw the snake disappearing up inside the undercarriage of my car. I swear the snake climbed up into the framework of my car. Since I couldn't stay where I was I decided to continue on my drive home. I figured the snake would come out later and find a new home. Unfortunately, not even a minute later I heard a thump and in my rear view mirror saw the snake disappear under the tires of a car behind me. So much for my attempt to do a good deed. :bang:

Well, you tried your best so don't let it bother you too much. Your misfortune has taught us to park further away when attempting to save a snake on a road.

Yesterday we found a dead one on 532 near Tabernacle.

Guy

They go for any hiding place (or dark shadowy area) when trying to escape. they also climb readily, anthing to get away from a preditor. Your undercarriage looked like a good spot! Nature didn't have a mobile high speed undercarriage in mind when it setup the snakes DNA. Nice try, not your fault. Probably a good idea to park a little ways away (in case it's aggressive or defensive), and to avoid the above circumstances.