The List

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Always have my little jump starter and some basic tools in the truck; has saved the day several times.

94026900_L.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If stone searching I have two GPS units, my camera, my video camera, walking stick, paper maps if needed, water, food, knife, spare batteries, sometimes chalk, and sometimes a tape measure. Jessica has almost the same and the lint roller during the summer. She also carries a small array of medical supplies. Nothing special in my car other than the clothes and boots I carry in the trunk.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The first on my list is the bushwacking drive for all of what the Barrens have to discover - flora, fauna, history, and treasures. All while having great time and not passing up an opportunity to have fun climbing a tree for a better view or a swing into cool cedar water.;)

My bag has the same necessities as everyone else here. GPS, knife, energy bars, small medical pack, multi-tool, water and camera are always with me. In my truck, at any given time, you can find print outs of maps, snacks (usually jerky and trail mix), boots, bug spray, and clothes, a combination which gives a unique scent on hot days.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Glad to see so many of you "go natural" ------------------------------------with GPS units .:D

(Just teasing ! I know how easy it is to get lost, or go astray.)

The GPS is not for getting lost. We use it to document our tracks, the location of rare plants and animals or any interesting find, We also incorporate Geocaching on our hikes.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Geezer
If you have ever tried to find survey stones with a gps you'd understand why it would be foolish to try and find them without one.With 14 ft accuracy it is still impossible sometimes.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
If stone searching I have two GPS units, my camera, my video camera, walking stick, paper maps if needed, water, food, knife, spare batteries, sometimes chalk, and sometimes a tape measure. Jessica has almost the same and the lint roller during the summer. She also carries a small array of medical supplies. Nothing special in my car other than the clothes and boots I carry in the trunk.

Guy, is the chalk for marking your way ? I don't always bring a GPS so sometimes I use flagging tape or bright strips of cloth when heading off trail. Old as it is.....I now carry a cell phone :(. I have been convinced by family that it is safe to travel this way when I am solo. It also pays to have the proper phone #s programmed in there :).
Camera, map, walking stick, notebook/sketchbook, knife, matches, water - minimally.
When I'm out in the woods, my vehicle is packed like a travel trailer... field guides, spray, first aid kit, clothes, chair, small cooler..... I like to make a day of it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks for reminding me of the cell phone. I also carry one. Today I left Jessica in the car while I scouted out a location, and after spending more time there than I told her I tried to call and text her. I had service but she did not and we were 400 feet away.

The chalk is for incised stones. They show up better.

Do you have my number? If not, let me know. I may be in the same area and can get there quickly.

Guy

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Just an idea, but maybe someone could post important phone numbers to have in your cell phone for when your out in the big woods. I know myself, I would like to have them just in case something should happen or you see something out there Couldn't hurt, ya know?? I know now that I don't have a Jeep anymore, I'll be mountain biking on the roads/traisl where allowed and doing my exploring that way.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will start. The first number you should have in your phone is 1-877-WARNDEP (1-877- 927-6337)

I used this a few times recently and I am semi happy so far on the results. If you see illegal activity that needs attention, call that number. Use it to report an environmental issues such as illegal dumping, illegal theft of wildlife, intentionally injuring wildlife, illegal damage to forests, etc, etc.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/warndep.htm

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Old as it is.....I now carry a cell phone :(. I have been convinced by family that it is safe to travel this way when I am solo. It also pays to have the proper phone #s programmed in there :).

Hey Kiddo,
I love to see your tech saviness hasn't changed. Stay the course, be an example of not falling in with the masses.
But then, the part of me that figured you advanced actually was sadly mistaken. I sent you a text just some days ago and then it occured to me that you
(A) never got that advanced or (B) you still left the thing lying in the truck somewhere for extended periods of time.

Hope to see you soon! Been to danged long.

g