The Lower Evesham/Medford Resource Protection Plan

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
That's a huge step in the right direction. After the whole "sanctuary" controversy got started, I figured every bit of wildlife in the area was screwed. One good thing at least . . . this being brought to light in conjunction with the bears extending their range across the state--it sort of forces the ignorant public to realize that wildlife has its place in NJ, and we'd be ill advised not to manage it properly. I guarantee anyone moving down here who heard about evesham will be a bit more inclined to ask questions about endangered species before buying a house. Although personally . . . rattlesnakes migrating through my backyard sounds like paradise.

-Bob

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I'm all for making much more strict rules for development in this area; I live there myself on over 3 acres of woods. But if you look around you'll see all kinds of new development taking place - like 2 tacky homes next to my property being built on a single lot which was subdivided. They simply clearcut this land before building, and ground everything to sawdust. They didn't even sell the large timber they cut down.

The developers are a hugely influential lobby in these towns and they are running out of land to ply their trade. I think it's very naiive to assume they will simply go away. So in other words, I'm all for legislation like this, but I'll believe it when I see it. :pigfly:

And the cynic in me is immediately drawn to the following paragraph:

"Sasdelli said several landowners hoping to build on their lots or sell them to developers could be given credits to build elsewhere, or could be considered by the township for the purchase of development rights on environmentally-sensitive parcels."

Heh, maybe I can get Medford to pay me NOT to develop my land also....

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd said:
"Sasdelli said several landowners hoping to build on their lots or sell them to developers could be given credits to build elsewhere, or could be considered by the township for the purchase of development rights on environmentally-sensitive parcels."

And where is elsewhere? At Route 70 and 539? In the end the pines are screwed!

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Agreed. But my point was that the hidden agenda is for "several landowners" to be paid for not developing their land. Just like the article discussed in this thread: http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=1761

Speaking of which, did you know that Hawkin Road (adjacent to the farm mentioned in that article) is going to be paved in September?

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.8...25017599125978,0.025603294372558594&t=h&hl=en

There goes another of the last few remaining unpaved roads in Medford. That should open the doors to further development of the area. Unfortunately peopl drive way too fast down that bumpy road and there have been a couple fatal accidents. Some of my daughter's high school friends were involved in one which really changed their lives.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd said:
Agreed. But my point was that the hidden agenda is for "several landowners" to be paid for not developing their land. Just like the article discussed in this thread: http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=1761

Speaking of which, did you know that Hawkin Road (adjacent to the farm mentioned in that article) is going to be paved in September?

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.8...25017599125978,0.025603294372558594&t=h&hl=en

There goes another of the last few remaining unpaved roads in Medford. That should open the doors to further development of the area. Unfortunately peopl drive way too fast down that bumpy road and there have been a couple fatal accidents. Some of my daughter's high school friends were involved in one which really changed their lives.

We have discussed an accident on Hawkins Road on this site before. I don't know how old you or your daughter are so we may have been discussing the same person. You can read it at the below link.

Yes I knew they were going to pave it. I had read about it.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=1099&page=2&pp=10&highlight=torney

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
No, my daughter graduated from Shawnee in 2000. The accident I'm thinking of was probably 1998 or thereabouts. IIRC, a girl named Meagan was killed and the other 3 kids in the car survived. Evidently no drinking was involved but they were going way too fast late at night. There's a roadside memorial somewhere near the intersection with Independence drive.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I just drove through there today. The unpaved section is right at the bridge on the Medford end. Predictably, there was a Medford Police speed trap right near the township line - he was on a side street completely out of sight. I was going 25 mph because it just looks like a setup, but the guy in front of me was going maybe 40 and got busted....

The limit on that whole new section of road is 25 mph - and that's OK with me, but it's actually gonna be dangerous because most people won't want to go nearly that slow. The whole length of the new section is a no passing zone as well.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd said:
I just drove through there today. The unpaved section is right at the bridge on the Medford end. Predictably, there was a Medford Police speed trap right near the township line - he was on a side street completely out of sight. I was going 25 mph because it just looks like a setup, but the guy in front of me was going maybe 40 and got busted....

The limit on that whole new section of road is 25 mph - and that's OK with me, but it's actually gonna be dangerous because most people won't want to go nearly that slow. The whole length of the new section is a no passing zone as well.

Thanks for the info.

To me since it goes through two townships it is a county road and they should set the speed limits. However, I am sure they just let the township set it.

Guy