The Lure of the Land - A photographic journey through the pine barrens, New Jersey’s

Bachman's Ivory

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
Hazlet, Monmouth County, NJ
I'm tremendously honored and excited to announce that the Pinelands Preservation Alliance has invited me to exhibit some of my pine barrens photography at their Headquarters at 17 Pemberton Road
Southampton, NJ. The pictures will be available for sale and will hang from roughly Dec. 5, through the holidays, possibly even into March. At some point down the road there will be an opening reception. I'd love to meet some of you there. This forum has been an enormous influence to me, I thank you all for your knowledge and inspiration. Here's the program and a few samples! You can find more information and photos on http://www.facebook.com/chaseschieferphotography

The Lure of the Land

A photographic journey through the pine barrens, New Jersey’s diverse wilderness of culture and ecology.

Dawn, Edward G. Bevan Wildlife Management Area near the town of Dividing Creek, Cumberland County. A thick layer of advection fog blankets the road, water boatmen churn the rich cedar water of Buckshutem Creek. A powerful and sticky odor of damp pine woods fills the nostrils. A myriad of curious sugar sand roads lead the imagination into thick forest filled with mystifying shapes. Immense squalls of neotropical birdsong meets my ears.
set-72157622439412634

4309341114_07e9620150_z.jpg

That was how I spent many mornings of my childhood birdwatching with my Father. Thus began my fascination with the Pines. To me, nothing says New Jersey more than the words “Pine Barrens,” a land equally rich with history, ecology, and space, as it is with mystery and allure. When one ventures through the Pinelands, they may feel at once a pull to save, to preserve. It’s impossible to resist the impulse to capture a scene with a photograph. By seizing images through the photograph, preservation begins. With an eye for composition and lighting, preservation forms a link with aesthetics.

5116835962_1ee3cc080b_z.jpg

The Pinelands enclave of south Jersey is a diverse geographic region steeped in localized culture, tradition, and ecology. The essence of this diversity is the main inspiration of this exhibition. Laid out before you is a pictorial journey that aims to crystalize this intrinsic characteristic through the photograph. We begin with the seemingly endless salt marshes of Manahawkin, to the deep pine and oak woods of Double Trouble State Park, and macro photographs of pitch pines in Greenwood Wildlife Management Area and British soldier lichen on a cedar planked roof in Batsto Village. We then journey to the cultural side and explore the Pine Barrens through the tradition of the cranberry harvest, vernacular structures, and the “artifacts” of landscape transformation at industrial-agricultural sites like Whitesbog.
5091646719_deca214bd6_z.jpg

Video Slideshow -

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
It was nice to meet you today. You have some very nice photos, if anyone is in the area they should definately stop by and see them.

fierodoug

Explorer
Jul 12, 2010
Browns Mills
I just said hello, and me and my wife decided we wanted to get one of your prints for our den after all the holiday spending was over. We were really amazed by photo of the Atsion barn ruins in the forefront and the collapsed house in the background. The colors and image were so vivid like watchign a true HD broadcast on a LED TV. I have never seen another photo like it.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Drat. I missed this. My son had a soccer tourney in Philly this weekend, where my truck's alternator went kaplooey ... and, no, the dog didn't eat my homework. Sorry, Chase. I'll still try to get by there and see your display, as I truly, truly wish to.

Bachman's Ivory

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
Hazlet, Monmouth County, NJ
I just said hello, and me and my wife decided we wanted to get one of your prints for our den after all the holiday spending was over. We were really amazed by photo of the Atsion barn ruins in the forefront and the collapsed house in the background. The colors and image were so vivid like watchign a true HD broadcast on a LED TV. I have never seen another photo like it.

WOW! I'm stunned! That is so awesome! Let me know when you're ready to go through with it, you can contact me directly when you're ready. Thanks for the compliments!

Bill,

No worries! They will be up through March. Sometime after the holidays will be the real opening.

I just got in some nice 8x10's done on metallic paper, they look really wild!