The Mahacomack Line

Aug 28, 2012
Jackson, NJ
I was jealous to see photos of Marker Stones for the Lawrence Line, and Blacks property stones. Which caused me to recall the discovery of a Mahacomack Line marker in Colliers Mills WMA. Persons unknown had attempted to remove this stone and left it laying on the ground. A second person removed the stone, but made no secret that he had it. Has anyone found, or is planning to look for any of these markers?
I'd be more than willing to join in on the search.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a little further up than I usually look for stones even though I did do the Lawrence Line stones in Colliers Mill. As expected the Hanover 1856 stone had been stolen before I got there. I spent quite a bit of time looking for it in vane.

I guess I should add the Hanover 1856 stone to my all points bulletin page.

http://home.comcast.net/~islandtee/hanover1824/Hanover1824.html

I have not heard of the Mahacomack Line before. Do you have any info on it? Do you know where the one stone was?

Guy

Aug 28, 2012
Jackson, NJ
I don't know where the stone was, but I can find out. I might be able to plot the lat/lon this weekend.
http://westjersey.org/wj_line.htm This is all I've ever found of it. I never heard of this line before I got to chatting to the guy with the stone. Rt-571 from Cassville to South Stump Tavern Rd runs alone this line. (for the most part)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I don't know where the stone was, but I can find out. I might be able to plot the lat/lon this weekend.
http://westjersey.org/wj_line.htm This is all I've ever found of it. I never heard of this line before I got to chatting to the guy with the stone. Rt-571 from Cassville to South Stump Tavern Rd runs alone this line. (for the most part)

If you go to your link you we see that the Mahacomack line was proposed but never made. I suspect the stone you are referring to was the Hanover 1856 stone.

This stone was mentioned in the 1856 survey of John and Joshua Horner's property. It was marked with the letters and figures of "Hanover." It was placed there on 6/2/1856 in the presence of Joseph P. Jones, Joshua Horner, Moses Horner, surveyors George Sykes, Joseph Cox, and Joseph DeBow, Caleb Sykes, Freedon Horner, Joshua Horner Jr., James Horner, John Green and 2 other men from Hanover.

When I could not find it I contacted the man running Colliers Mills and he told me there were photo's of it oin his office. He had heard from someone that they also could not find it so he assumed it was gone.

If you can find any info on that stone I would be interested. If you know or find out where it is please don't post that info on this site. Contact me if you want and let me know where it is.

Guy

Aug 28, 2012
Jackson, NJ
Here's some pictures of the stone I was talking about above. If I did this right...

But it doesn't look like a live link... We'll see what happens when I hit "Post Reply."

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a classic property stone. It looks similar to the one at Howardsville. You said that it is missing??

Al and I have discussed this and in the fall we are going to visit that area. I suspect there are more stones but maybe not that impressive. Usually, they have one large one and the rest are smaller.

Thanks for the photo's. Did you take them?

Guy

Aug 28, 2012
Jackson, NJ
Took them myself I did, with my Iphone. The stone is not missing, I know where it is. It is not where it's suppose to be though. I have a general idea where it belongs, but the chiggers are very heavy in that area. In the fall we will find it's home and I can GPS the location. Roughly, it belongs approximately 200 meters west of RT 571 across from the northern most intersection with Lakehurst Ave. I don't know how to use your maps and place a marker. I looked for directions but didn't find any.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I have come across several stones while hiking Colliers Mills. I didn't save to many of their positions because at the time I wasn't interested in stone markers. Most where by lakes and empty bogs. I found this one today. I am surprised by its location. The marker was close by a wet area where I look for orchids.

colliersstone.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They may not be property stones. When clearning a bog they often found stones and removed them. Then again, large property stones are normally found along waters edge or close to it.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
They may not be property stones. When clearning a bog they often found stones and removed them. Then again, large property stones are normally found along waters edge or close to it.

Guy

I'll keep that in mind. The stone in the picture is some distance away from the water. I thought it might have been a marker for the village and resort that surrounded the lake.

Aug 28, 2012
Jackson, NJ