The Market & the Auctions

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
"What does it Take" was recorded in 1969. Bob, you was just a kid at that time, I was a 24 year old man. This was a significant time period for me. I graduated from College in 1968, and in the Fall of that year I was in Basic Training at Fort Dix. (My first experience of the Pine Barrens) The draft was on. I enlisted in the Army for 3 years to get the occuption I wanted. While in baic training I got my draft notice. The one song I remember while at Fort Dix was "Hey Jude", released in August 1968.
Did you do 4 years in college Ron? What was your major.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Coincidentally, I found this 45 in a folder last night, and I refuse to throw away. We used to skip school and often would end up in Wrightstown, because it was such a sinful, wild place. This song was prominent then.

I had just moved back to South Jersey from Maplewood in Essex County and invited 3 friends down to my home in Ventnor for a week in August, 1969. Wearing white bell bottoms and a skin tight green body shirt (hard to believe), the 4 of us took a bus to Atlantic City to try and "pick up chicks". Naive virgins, we cruised Million Dollar Pier and Central Pier. Too young to drink, Carl, Rich, Henry and I did our best to lay a line on any and all girls walking the boardwalk. I remember hearing "What Does It Take" walking onto Million Dollar Pier around midnight. A sweet girl agreed to walk down to the ocean with me. The dark of the beach and the roar of the ocean, hearing the music playing above, we shared an innocent kiss or two. An Atlantic City police officer walked out from under the pier shining a flashlight on us and aggressively asked me what we were doing "down here". I remember saying nothing I was ashamed of. Wrong answer. His reaction was nasty and swift and I thought I was about to be billy clubbed, but his fellow officer pulled him away. Mood most certainly broken, I waked with my friend of 15 minutes back to the boardwalk, said goodbye. More than fifty years later, I've never forgotten Junior Walker and The All-Stars and that song. And the pretty girl who walked down to the surf with me.

Last edited:

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
Questionable seafood! That's funny, and it reminds me. I do like fish, but I'm very leery of it when I look on that bed of ice at the grocery store. I'm like; where the hell did they get that, and how long ago. Was it previously frozen?

There's a fish market in Waretown, just on the outside of town; Ahearns. I've picked up clams there before (I love them steamed with butter), but the fish? Not yet. The other day I amost walked in there and said; "what's the freshest thing you've got".
Aherns has fresh fish all year. They also have a commercial busness that delivers to restaurants. They also have frozen fish that is not available fresh for the local market. I particularly like the Scottish Salmon and their Cod.

Reactions: bobpbx

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
I lived in Hampton Lakes from 1960 to 1962, and Presidential Lakes from 1965 to 1973 or so. Anyway, I was very familiar with Columbus Market on 206, with the square slices of pizza and outdoor flea market, and the shoddy (but irresistible) stalls of vendors. I think some had curtains for doors? Always something second-hand or kitschy to look at. I also enjoyed passing by and gawking at Malachik's teepee. There were usually a few girl groupies standing outside in tight jean shorts.

But Berlin Market? Never been there. I took my driver's license test in Berlin, but did not visit the market. I failed my first test. When the tester told me at the end to pull in and stop, I pulled in but hit the gas by mistake. He reached over and saved us both. It was a 1968? Plymouth station wagon the color of poo-poo.

So what was (is?) Berlin aution like? Did I miss it? I remember route 73 when it was mostly fields and maybe a chicken coop or two?

View attachment 18866
That brought back some memories Bob, when you mentioned Mahalchick! I was always fascinated by that place more so than Columbus itself. I put a link below, albeit Weird NJ, but there are some good shots of his treasures. I recall all of the military equipment he had there! I believe the steam train and short track now reside outside of Atlantic City Harley on the pike in Absecon? Always a question to ponder is how he got it there. I always remember a story my oldest brother would tell. He and his buds were into Harleys back when (he is 81 now and still rides) one of his pals had a 1945 flathead Harley that was military but modified. The engine got damaged and needed cylinders, where to get them?? hmm. They actually spoke to Mahalichick and he actually provided a front and rear pair of cylinders in military boxes wrapped in wax paper and cosmoline!! I know, sounds like the Jeep in the crate story, but it is semi-believable

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
All this brought to mind Danny Mertz' place in the Berlin market. Don't know if its still there, but growing up it was the go-to place on Christmas Day for those last minute items you always needed.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That brought back some memories Bob, when you mentioned Mahalchick! I was always fascinated by that place more so than Columbus itself. I put a link below, albeit Weird NJ, but there are some good shots of his treasures. I recall all of the military equipment he had there! I believe the steam train and short track now reside outside of Atlantic City Harley on the pike in Absecon? Always a question to ponder is how he got it there. I always remember a story my oldest brother would tell. He and his buds were into Harleys back when (he is 81 now and still rides) one of his pals had a 1945 flathead Harley that was military but modified. The engine got damaged and needed cylinders, where to get them?? hmm. They actually spoke to Mahalichick and he actually provided a front and rear pair of cylinders in military boxes wrapped in wax paper and cosmoline!! I know, sounds like the Jeep in the crate story, but it is semi-believable
Good story Joe, I liked the cosmoline part. That's softer than the most common preservative used where I worked (P2, Mil-PRF-16173). Cosmoline is P3. P1 hardens to a black film that needs some elbow use to get it off.