The Mullica

Well I've spent some time on the Mullica these past two weekends. Last weekend I put in at Lock's Bridge and paddles up-stream 2 miles. Along the way I passed a group of folks that belonged to the Liberty Canoe Club out of the Trenton area. They claim to be the oldest club in NJ.
This weekend on Saturday I put in off off Sleepy Creek Rd at the marker and paddled up-stream about 2.5 miles. When I was at my stopping point I saw a couple also paddling up-steam pass me. I wasn't the only nut doing it. When I got back to my car I went to take some photos and when I returned to my car the couple was there. It turned out to be NJPB member Sue Gremlin and her husband (sorry, I don't remember his name). What a small world.
Today I got a friend to go with me and we put in about a mile down Quaker Bridge Rd and paddled to Constable Bridge, a nice 8 mile trip.
I had great weather all three days and the Mullica is beautiful.
I'll post some photos tomorrow.

Steve

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nice seeing you on the road this morning Steve. Sorry I couldn't stop, was the end car in a field botany trip. We were headed down to the big savannah on the Batsto. You ever swim in the Batsto down there? I jumped in twice, and it was great. Swam upstream a hundred yards and let the current take me down twice. Sandy bottom, cool, clean water. Doesn't get any better than that.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
It is, indeed, a small world. :)
It was a loverly day to paddle on the river. We paused at the little beach right where Joe and I first ran into you, Steve, and took a nice long swim. The water is heavenly.
We had a helluva time getting back up the dams after we last saw you at your truck, and it wasn't the big ones so much, but the old, broken ones that were hard to pass. I feel so hardcore now. :dance:

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
That is pretty cool that you all ran into each other. How did you figure out that you were who you are (? know what I mean) Sue, did you recognize Steve from the photos on the site?

Sue Gremlin said:
We had a helluva time getting back up the dams after we last saw you at your truck, and it wasn't the big ones so much, but the old, broken ones that were hard to pass. I feel so hardcore now. :dance:

That first dam gave me the most trouble. I had gotten out and climbed up on the dam. That was the easy part. I had a heck of a time pulling my kayak up and over. Trying to keep my balance with one hand on the dam and pulling the kayak with the other, every time I let go of the kayak to re-grip the rushing water would push it back. Not wanting to deal with that at the second dam, I paddled full force and got up on it as far as I could and then grabbed onto some well stuck branches and pulled myself over. It was much easier than I expected. On the way back going over those dams was a blast.

Steve

bobpbx said:
Nice seeing you on the road this morning Steve. Sorry I couldn't stop, was the end car in a field botany trip. We were headed down to the big savannah on the Batsto.

That's OK Bob. I thought maybe you didn't see me. The truck behind you, which was not with your group, stopped because he thought I was in trouble with all that honking and all.
There is a HUGH savanna along the Mullica not too far west of Constable Bridge. We should check it out some day.

Steve

Here are the photos I promised.

From last Saturday, Up-stream from Beaver Pond.

Beaver Pond:
89730402-M.jpg

89730403-M.jpg

89730401-M.jpg

89730400-M.jpg

89148444-M.jpg

Up-stream:
89730397-M.jpg

89730398-M.jpg

89730399-M.jpg

This Saturday, up-stream from the A/B marker:

89730407-M.jpg

89730406-M.jpg

89730408-M.jpg

89730405-M.jpg

First dam
89730412-M.jpg

second dam
89730410-M.jpg

Approch to the second dam on return.
89730409-M.jpg

I didn't bother with the camera on Sunday.

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did you park at the A/B marker? If so, what shape was the road from Atsion?

Nice photo's. Thanks.

Guy