The "Nanny State" continues it's rampage on it's citizens

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Well, that was a little bit better. You're still incredibly condescending, but at least you're not accusing me of using drugs anymore.

First off you were complaing about China, and all of these magical jobs going overseas

Well its not as if I'm imagining it am I? Who do you talk to when you need tech support for your computer? India. What do most of the tags say on new cars from the big three automakers? "Contains 75% foreign made parts, or even better yet, Hencho en Mexico." I'm not exactly talking about bobblehead dolls and cell phone cases here.

Walmart is some evil empire

I just find it ironic that Wal-Mart plasters our flag all over their tractor trailers and stores and claims to be some "down home piece of red-state Americana" when they basically prop up the Chinese economy, helping it become a dominant power in the world. Not mention they treat their workers like absolute garbage. Maybe I took a little bit of poetic license there, but 'ol Sam Walton was no patriot, just greedy old bastard from Arkansas.

Corporate America is bad.

Sometimes it is-like when profits are put before all else, and when I mean all else I mean safety, ethics, and loyalty to the United States. There are plenty of companies out there that are exemplary in these aspects, John Deere comes to mind as one of them.

First off with Bethlehem, they lost out to competition, and not just imports. Why run an old plant, which needs a large labor force, with a large union that would rather have money, then allow the company to make money. New plants were built at the time which used less labor, and produced more steel, so you cant compete.

Ok, so you're anti-union, I get it, that's very in vogue these days. In some cases unions do overstep their bounds. Most of the time they're just fighting for benefits for their workers. God forbid someone can see a doctor or a dentist. I sometimes wonder if people who are ardently anti-union realize what horrible conditions existed before organized labor. I'm not talking about sitting in an uncomfortable chair at the office, I'm talking about losing limbs, developing chronic diseases like black lung and asbestosis, or being blown up, burned to death, hacked to pieces, falling to your death, etc...because a company decided that safety precautions or regulations would cut into its budget. Are you familiar with the story of the Radium girls from Orange, New Jersey? In the early 1900s they painted watch dials with luminescent radium paint by hand, making a fine point on the brush by running it between their lips. The dangers of radium were well understood by the chemists and management at the company-they only handled it with leaded aprons and gloves. Once the girls started to develop necrosis of the tissue in their jaws the doctors they saw were pressured by the corporation to say that it was due to syphillis in order to discredit the girls and draw attention away from the radium. Touching isn't it? In the early days of industry men died everyday just trying to feed their families, all because taking precautions were just too much trouble.

Of course this the way it is in China now. If a company is dumping industrial waste in your well, or pumping poison into the air, or whathaveyou, you have no recourse. The government doesn't care because the economy is growing by leaps and bounds, the people are expendable to them. Should we just revoke human rights and the right to organize in order to compete with them? On the contrary, I think U.S. companies shouldn't be permitted to business in countries where human rights do not exist. Since China is able to provide workers who work for slave wages and have no right to protest being literally worked to death, of course we can't compete. It's the same reason that poor white farmers couldn't compete with plantation owners in the American South before the civil war. You can't compete with a workforce that not only works for free, but also has no rights. As a result, the playing field is quite slanted. Passing laws forbidding U.S. companies from profiting from slave wages and human rights abuses would serve to level it a bit.

Chevy executives are evil because they get paid more, and spend money on tv ads with cowboys, and american flags.

Again, I find it ironic that they run commercials like that while simultaneously trying to think of a way to move more jobs to Mexico or who knows where. Not to mention the fact that the guy who founded Farm-Aid appears in it. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I'm fairly certain that you probably hold some sort of deep seated resentment towards helping the American farmer, so I'm sure you'll hammer me on that one.

Well those tv ads keep Chevy in business

As a person who comes from a long line of GM buyers I can honestly say that TV commercials will not help Chevy sell more trucks, improving quality however, will.

and those executives get paid for a reason, and they are almost always the first to get laid off when labor costs get to high.

And the reason is??? It's not the injectors in the '03 Duramax, my buddy has had his replaced by the dealer 3 times. It's not cars like the Cobalt which cost more and get less gas mileage than Japanese competitors. Is it the Hummer H79 or whatever number they're up to these days? Also, I don't know about you but I didn't see any executives looking for work in the late '80s. The entire city of Flint was though-something on the order of 30,000 people nationwide...

play up the working class hero

Look buddy (yes, I'm feeling a little less civil now) I can see it from both sides, unlike you. My father has been a UPS driver for 24 years and has two back surgeries and one knee surgery to show for it. His parents were farmers. My mother works a customer service desk for an industrial supply company answering phones. Her father was the son of Italian immigrants who only went to the 8th grade. I went to college and wear a suit to work every day, and I busted my ass to get through, doing everything from working construction, maintenance, and delivery jobs to do it.

The way I see it you're one of two types of people:

A: A silver spoon type who talks incessantly about pulling one's self up by thine bootstraps no matter what the circumstances, nevermind that you yourself were never presented with the situation...

OR

B: Just a normal guy who thinks that spouting the party line over and over again will make you part of the "in" crowd of neo-cons who put bumper stickers on their cars that say "Have you hugged a corporation today?"

but thats all nonsense with no basis on anything

Need I say more... Honestly, do you even live in NJ? Or are you just a troll who moves around from message board to message board picking fights? Why are you here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercilious
Chevy executives are evil because they get paid more, and spend money on tv ads with cowboys, and american flags.

Again, I find it ironic that they run commercials like that while simultaneously trying to think of a way to move more jobs to Mexico or who knows where. Not to mention the fact that the guy who founded Farm-Aid appears in it. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I'm fairly certain that you probably hold some sort of deep seated resentment towards helping the American farmer, so I'm sure you'll hammer me on that one.

Quote:
Well those tv ads keep Chevy in business

As a person who comes from a long line of GM buyers I can honestly say that TV commercials will not help Chevy sell more trucks, improving quality however, will.

Quote:
and those executives get paid for a reason, and they are almost always the first to get laid off when labor costs get to high.

And the reason is??? It's not the injectors in the '03 Duramax, my buddy has had his replaced by the dealer 3 times. It's not cars like the Cobalt which cost more and get less gas mileage than Japanese competitors. Is it the Hummer H79 or whatever number they're up to these days? Also, I don't know about you but I didn't see any executives looking for work in the late '80s. The entire city of Flint was though-something on the order of 30,000 people nationwide...

As someone who works in the auto industry, I think Chevy is going to find those jingoism ads are going to backfire on them; how is seeing pictures of New Orleans flooded, flag waving etc going to help them sell vehicles? If you read Automotive News, the comments are on the commercial itself, nobody is mentioning the truck it is supposed to be advertising and this vehicle is supposed to be one of the ones to lift GM out of the doldrums!

Whats sad is that they (in Detroit) really seem to think that this kind of advertising will sell the vehicles instead of investing in improving quality, especially in their lower priced vehicles. It will be interesting to see in the next year how GM and Ford react to Toyota's new Tundra in February since that will be the first real competion to their full sized trucks (Nissan is not really that big of a company in the automotive world to make the Titan a real threat, they don't build enough of them) and it's being built in the US (Indiana and Texes).

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Boy,
How 'bout that wind today !! Don't know about the rest of ya'll but it's windy as the dickens out my way !! Just loves watchin' ol' mister wind takin' those pretty pine barrens leaves and blowin' 'em around real pretty like and such. Bet it would be a nice day to bundle up, take a walk, and clear the mind.

G.

G.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
As someone who works in the auto industry, I think Chevy is going to find those jingoism ads are going to backfire on them; how is seeing pictures of New Orleans flooded, flag waving etc going to help them sell vehicles...

...Whats sad is that they (in Detroit) really seem to think that this kind of advertising will sell the vehicles instead of investing in improving quality, especially in their lower priced vehicles. It will be interesting to see in the next year how GM and Ford react to Toyota's new Tundra in February since that will be the first real competion to their full sized trucks

I agree! And I think it's important to point out that I, along with Entropy, aren't saying that flag waving, etc...is bad, it's just not going to sell cars better than an increase in quality/fuel economy and a decrease in prices. I also have a little bit of a problem with the usage of the term jingoism. Somehow somewhere someone connected jingoism with ANY show of patriotism at all, which is just wrong. If you look up the definition, jingoism is belligerent patriotism connected to belligerent foreign policy. Chevy is just employing cheap sight gags using the American flag-misplaced, but not jingoistic in my view. Dubya landing on an aircraft carrier in flight suit-jingoism with a capital "J". Flying the flag, shooting off fireworks on the 4th, going to a parade on memorial day, and saying the pledge of allegiance is just being a proud American.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Boy, How 'bout that wind today !! Don't know about the rest of ya'll but it's windy as the dickens out my way !! Just loves watchin' ol' mister wind takin' those pretty pine barrens leaves and blowin' 'em around real pretty like and such. Bet it would be a nice day to bundle up, take a walk, and clear the mind.

:rofl:

Come to think of it...I think I may just leave work early and take a ride down to Colliers Mills!