The Oswego is calling

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Our family canoe trip was cancelled on Labor day, canoe rental spots were closed due to high water. We ended up hanging out at Lake Oswego all day. The place was packed but still a good time was had by all. I am thinking of paddling the Oswego either Sunday or Monday to take advantage of the nice water levels. Anyone interested?

Our family canoe trip was cancelled on Labor day, canoe rental spots were closed due to high water. We ended up hanging out at Lake Oswego all day. The place was packed but still a good time was had by all. I am thinking of paddling the Oswego either Sunday or Monday to take advantage of the nice water levels. Anyone interested?

Did the Oswego on Monday. Levels were WAY high. Very fast with lots of strainers. The water was so fast the strainers were almost impossible to avoid and I got caught in most of them.

Steve

Okay, I'll bite. Whats a strainer? A low branch with many branchlets?

Close or should I say a very low branch. A strainer is usually a tree with branches (or not) that is laying across in the river (or any debris). In normal or low water it's not too much of a problem. But in High or fast water they can be dangerous. The tree catches you but the water keeps moving wanting to roll you over if it can. Great fun!!! Really. But it can be dangerous. really.

Steve

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
There was very high water about 8 or so years ago on Cedar Creek. A guy was swimming in a seemingly safe area of the creek. I think he had been drinking. The water drove him under and into some branches and roots, and he could not make his way out. A tragedy. I am cautious in my old age.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Did the Oswego on Monday. Levels were WAY high. Very fast with lots of strainers. The water was so fast the strainers were almost impossible to avoid and I got caught in most of them.

Steve

Steve,
did you put in at Lake Oswego on Monday? If you did I probably saw you. There were tons of kayaks there Labor day. I know exactly what your talking about with those strainers. They've gotten the better of me more times than not.
Tom