The Otter Branch Runnemede NJ

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Before our hike on Thursday, Rob from work and I quickly visited the Otter Branch in Runnemede to check out the location before it is destroyed by construction. Rob mentioned that about 30 years ago there was a home located in the woods along the branch, but soon after that it went up for sale. He had visited there once recently and was not able to find evidence of that dwelling. On Thursday we arrived at sunrise and were in a rush to start on our hike in the pines, so we only spent a few minutes there and moved on.

So this morning I went back to photograph the location, and try to find the remains of the house. Even though this is not in the pines, I figured you may be interested in some history and the future of this interesting place.

The future.

IMG_1257.JPG

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_1252.JPG

The past.

The overgrown road leading to the house. An interesting walk through!

IMG_1243.JPG

The holes in this are elongated from years of use.

IMG_1216.JPG

The views

My photo’s don’t do it justice; however, this is a major cavernous location unlike most I have visited before. Some of the trees are quite tall.

IMG_1250.JPG

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

This branch is so wide and deep that when the Camden County sewer lines were ran through the area they had to build a massive viaduct to extend the pipes across it. It is quite a surprise to see this there.

IMG_1223.JPG

IMG_1228.JPG

IMG_1229.JPG

An aerial view from Live Maps.

viaduct.jpg

The house

And finally, after almost giving up I walked the edge of the hill and discovered the foundations of the house. Hidden from view from most normal locations, one has to walk along the crest of the hill to see this. A wonderful place to build a home many years ago.

IMG_1238.JPG

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No, it is on Evesham Road by the Hartford Arms Apartments. And I am not sure that development you are referring is not going to occur. There are still signs in yards opposing it. Maybe they just have not taken them down.

Guy

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Yes, an interesting history and a sad future. Sometimes I think it's a good thing we can't see the future. The family that built that home . . . I sense a funeral dirge coming on. Enough. Let's go back to corduroy roads and their remarkable sustainabilty. :)

Glo

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
My dad grew up around here in Glendora off of Evesham road. He spent alot of time back there as a kid. When he used to play back there the water was red from the old fiberglass plant in Barrington (Owens-Corning). He does not recognize the sewer pipe, however he does recall there used to be an old sewer plant back there.. This was all back in the mid to late 60s.