The painting of the Wading River

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Last week on a paddle down the Wading from Evans Bridge to Beaver Branch I noticed posted mile markers, with reflectors and painted trees. Even trees projecting into the river but easily paddled around were painted bright green and blue.

DSCF0284s.JPG

DSCF0286s.JPG

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Ridiculous.

We had a couple people get lost going down Cedar Creek a couple weeks ago, and walked out to the road. Could be an over-reaction to a similar situation in your area.

Reactions: manumuskin

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Ridiculous.

We had a couple people get lost going down Cedar Creek a couple weeks ago, and walked out to the road. Could be an over-reaction to a similar situation in your area.

Bob, did you ever hear how they managed to get lost? I figured the Mickster had his ear to the paddling community and might know but he hadn't heard anything.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
This weekend I saw that every access road into the Oswego had been freshly blazed with a different color. This must be the latest trend in Wharton.

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
I believe they were put up on the whole length of the river for 911 reports to better locate the caller for emergencies.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I really think some of the folks Mick's drops off on the Wading must think their in deepest darkest Congo.From Hawkins Bridge to Beaver branch there are sand roads or blacktop roads paralleling the river less then a mile away and in most places much closer. I guess though it is easier to deface the river then for someone to walk out for help. Looks like a yak trip with a hammer and some brown paint is in order.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
They are now defacing the Batsto River. This was done at Lower Forge camp ground a couple of days ago.

P1010759s.JPG

P1010761s.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
The same markers are on the Oswego river going into harrisville. Also someone built a nice stick hut across from the one large sandy hill and landing area. Where the rope swing used to be.