The Perseids cometh

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
46er, what area do you think has less light pollution for night shots - the end of Seven Bridges or the end of S. Bay?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
it may be too far for you Gibby depending on location but the Belleplain area is noted for the darkest night skies in south jersey which of course still aren't that good.for really good skies you have to head to northern pa or wv.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
it may be too far for you Gibby depending on location but the Belleplain area is noted for the darkest night skies in south jersey which of course still aren't that good.for really good skies you have to head to northern pa or wv.

Manu, that is a haul for me! Thanks, but I live so far away from there. I have hunted for areas to shoot night skies and found the end of Great Bay to be halfway descent. Atlantic City and the Coast Guard building cast most of the light pollution. Sussex county is a great area , but it is a day trip too.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
46er, what area do you think has less light pollution for night shots - the end of Seven Bridges or the end of S. Bay?

7 Bridges has the Rutgers facility at the end and it would depend if it is lit at night plus you would be looking over LBI to the NE. I don't think you'd have to come that far, unless you'll already be down. Any clear spot off 539 would work, Greenwood's north quail parking spot isn't too bad. Stafford Forge target range would be good, or around Governor's Pond. If your in the Tuckerton area, either the end of Dock Rd or Dock St shouod also be good, depending on street lights. Where is s. bay? Weather is looking pretty good for now.

Give these sites a try.

http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dar...4.3664465848406&lng=-73.9079475402832&zoom=13

http://www.astronomyforum.net/astronomy-locations/usa/

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
46er, S. Bay is S. Bay Avenue which is Beach Haven. Thanks for the tips. Looks like tonight is a good night to go check out some spots.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Manu, that is a haul for me! Thanks, but I live so far away from there. I have hunted for areas to shoot night skies and found the end of Great Bay to be halfway descent. Atlantic City and the Coast Guard building cast most of the light pollution. Sussex county is a great area , but it is a day trip too.

I didn't realize you were that far away.I just checked out your profile and seen you were in Trenton.I know some excellent dark sky sites in pa but still about three hours nw of you.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I didn't realize you were that far away.I just checked out your profile and seen you were in Trenton.I know some excellent dark sky sites in pa but still about three hours nw of you.

Every time I head out, I have a minimum of an hour and a half of driving to get to and from the Barrens. Don't ever take for granted being a foot step away, that must be awesome to always be "there".

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The Barrens are awesome,NJ isn't so awesome.The barrens and the marshes are the only place you can get away from the crowds.I couldn't even imagine living in the central swath of NJ from Camden up to Newark.The traffic drives me nuts around here and I'm considered rural.I'm an hour south of Atsion but we have some nice big woods down here too,just a little more congested with shore traffic.Can't drive anywhere in peace on summer weekends around here.
Al

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
september and october! my favorite months! Weather cools off,kids back in school and chiggers! Come on september!

Yeah, bring it on. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the hot weather continue in September this year...

I like it down South here too, but I don't go very far north as often as I used to. It's a LONG drive up to Forked River Mountain. And it's a REALLY LONG drive up to the Delaware Water Gap.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
If it is clear and not hazy, the East Plains seemed to be the best location. The only light source was the lamp marking the gate to the bombing range and the marker for the radio tower. I found a treeless spot that I can get to that hides the two rather well that I can drive into and use my truck bed to shoot from. Coyotes were yipping last night too.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Yeah, bring it on. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the hot weather continue in September this year....

It has been so freakin humid here the past few days I could swear I saw a striped bass swim past the window.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If it is clear and not hazy, the East Plains seemed to be the best location.

This is probably too far for you, but in years past I have called the gatehouse at IBSP and they would allow night entry for a sky event, call a day ahead. Last year was a problem, but they got rid of the do nothing park supvr and the new guy is on the right track. Just pick a spot with a short walk to the beach and where the fisherpersons are not allowed to drive the beach. Skeeters can be really bad though if its a west wind.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Thanks again! To be honest, I'll drive almost any where and any time if it is worth the effort. Anything north of Route 30 is easy for me. South of 30, I have to start to plan things a little more.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
You betcha; and no more Bennys or tiger skeeters :guinness:

November ain't bad either.
yes November is nice,after that it seems it rains most of december,I like snow but I like powder that i can walk through in the woods,wet snow is pretty on the trees but it sucks to walk through.I look at the bright side of the rain though,fill up those creeks so I can go yakkin! Mullica was low as hell a couple days ago,my dog walked across at one spot and didn't get her belly wet.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
If it is clear and not hazy, the East Plains seemed to be the best location. The only light source was the lamp marking the gate to the bombing range and the marker for the radio tower. I found a treeless spot that I can get to that hides the two rather well that I can drive into and use my truck bed to shoot from. Coyotes were yipping last night too.
The plains would be good but Philly and Camden and burbs are a beast to the west.I would go for a bowl where the hills block the western horizon at least,try to block the southeast too because AC is beast number 2.down here the state prisons mess up some prime areas that otherwise would be quite dark and lately we have had a liquor store and an adult community go up that are quite unreasonable with their lights that shoot straight up into the sky as if they are trying to signal Mars.there should be laws against it,sodium lights with shields to force light to the ground where it's actually needed.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The plains would be good but Philly and Camden and burbs are a beast to the west.I would go for a bowl where the hills block the western horizon at least,try to block the southeast too because AC is beast number 2.down here the state prisons mess up some prime areas that otherwise would be quite dark and lately we have had a liquor store and an adult community go up that are quite unreasonable with their lights that shoot straight up into the sky as if they are trying to signal Mars.there should be laws against it,sodium lights with shields to force light to the ground where it's actually needed.

We are thinking alike! I found a nice bowl a short ways off of Range Road that I can drive into and hopefully not be seen by anyone. Headlights and flashlights can stay way. 46er's tips for the darker areas were spot on. I just had to find one than I liked.