The Pineland Desert

T

Toothy Critter

I don't know if I am being too pessimistic but I really am afraid for the Pinelands. Maybe someone with more knowledge can ease my concerns but... I was studying records from the USGS about the level of ground water in the Pines. In Brendon Byrne for example the highest recorded level of underground water (aquafer) was about 14 feet below land surface. That was in 1958. The worst recorded measurement was in 2002 when it was 26.75 feet below land. In Jan. of this year it was 26.25 feet below land surface, 6 inches above the driest level ever recorded. Some of you folks on this site seem very educated and knowledgeable concerning this environment. Please convince me that the sky is not falling and that I am misreading this data.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
In Brendon Byrne for example the highest recorded level of underground water (aquafer) was about 14 feet below land surface.

What does that really mean? If you go down by the creek, the water is at the surface. Walk 14 feet uphill and the water level is 14 feet below the surface. I can understand if they are just comparing water levels in one specific spot over the years, but that isn't quite what you said. And it seems like a variety of things could locally affect water level in one specific spot.

T

Toothy Critter

No these are measurements made at the exact locations every month year after year. The example I gave just happens to have an historical record high and low of 14 to 26 feet. Another location in Burlington Co. may have a range of 4 to 8 feet. Ocean Co. has a different range. The location takes into account the depth of the water table at that particular location , land surface altitude. A study of all locations in or near the Pinelands shows a pattern similar to the location at Br. Byrne. You can study for yourself at USGS web site, under " Groundwater ". I don't understand the data all that much so I was hoping someone could interpret it better than me. But coupled with the fact that articles are telling us the Aquafer is shrinking has me concerned. I just don't detect a sense or urgency among too many people.

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
I don't know if I am being too pessimistic but I really am afraid for the Pinelands. Maybe someone with more knowledge can ease my concerns but... I was studying records from the USGS about the level of ground water in the Pines. In Brendon Byrne for example the highest recorded level of underground water (aquafer) was about 14 feet below land surface. That was in 1958. The worst recorded measurement was in 2002 when it was 26.75 feet below land. In Jan. of this year it was 26.25 feet below land surface, 6 inches above the driest level ever recorded. Some of you folks on this site seem very educated and knowledgeable concerning this environment. Please convince me that the sky is not falling and that I am misreading this data.
Concern is warranted. All the reason more for continued enforcement of the CMP in regulating growth in the PB Reserve. On the State level numerous organizations are trying to get a statewide water plan in effect. We are blessed with a regular 40-50 inches of rain and significant aquifers but continued population growth and misuse of our gifts is reason to be concerned. Some states (like Colorado where I used to live) have made it illegal to store rainwater collected from rooftops! We have some smart folks who know how to fix our broken water delivery system and better distribute what we have with less waste, we need to make that happen.

T

Toothy Critter

The PPA has it covered...? That's your answer? What exactly have they done? I'm not saying they are not active or concerned...but, FACTS. That's too much of a brushoff. 35 Billion gallons of water a year... that is their statement on their webpage. What exactly is the PPA doing or planning? Show me. I am glad to see that others here are concerned. I just think it is something that should be kept up front, with no winter snow storage Spring levels may be so low that if we have another dry summer... gulp

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
The PPA has it covered...? That's your answer? What exactly have they done? I'm not saying they are not active or concerned...but, FACTS. That's too much of a brushoff. 35 Billion gallons of water a year... that is their statement on their webpage. What exactly is the PPA doing or planning? Show me. I am glad to see that others here are concerned. I just think it is something that should be kept up front, with no winter snow storage Spring levels may be so low that if we have another dry summer... gulp
Toothy, I think 46er's response was a bit tongue in cheek. Having said that the PPA is actively soliciting Trenton for an updated water plan. Here is a snapshot of what they are doing (including a video discussing the issue) : http://savethesource.org/ http://savethesource.org/water-policy/ http://savethesource.org/take-action/ As it is a state wide issue there are many other groups also advocating for a revised and updated policy. Christie will be gone soon and hopefully the next Governor and EPA head will take action.

T

Toothy Critter

Oh I am sorry for my ignorance. Please accept my apology. I did not mean to be rude or outspoken . I have been a lover of the Pines and have enjoyed its wilderness for close to 50 years. I don't want to sound like "back in my day" but I have seen some alarming changes just recently after decades of protection and preservation. I am just alarmed and concerned that the present mindset toward the Pinelands is changing. There is a new movie due to be released about the Pines this year and its author admits that we cannot rely on any agency of branch of government to save the Pines. It is up to the people who love her to protect her. Again, my apologies