Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Reactions: pinelandpaddler

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Rang at least one. You played the unmixed version for me last time I was down :). It really sounds awesome in the final mix, especially the guitar part. You make that Seagull sing, man. Btw, I ran across this video on Youtube yesterday. Not sure if you've seen it:

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
That last song was inspired by a story that folklorist Herbert Halpert recorded in 1941. It is essentially a variation of the old Will-o-the-Wisp/Jack-o-the-Lantern legends:

"Old Jimmy Wells who built Wells' Mill -- they say he was so queer he wouldn't have anything to do with no one hardly. He buried his money all around. When we were kids, we used to watch these balls of fire at the head of the pond. They'd go way up in the air and then down again. The other is what they called jack-o-lantern. It would travel right through the woods same as a light. They couldn't tell what that was. We'd watch 'em that way for a long time. After a while, they'd go. They'd say, the people around here, "That's where some of his money is buried." My father went to look for it one time, and the light went out before he got there -- he couldn't see it. I dreamt three times -- three nights straight -- where Jimmy buried his money. It was over Cold Brook on the edge of a hill at the foot of a big oak. But the oak had done --the old stump was there and this young oak come up from it. We went there and dug, my two brothers and me. Found a big box right where I dreamt the money was -- but we couldn't find a thing in it. It was rotten."

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Reactions: Ben Ruset