The Prescribed Burn Act: Legislation for a safer Garden State

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The key takeaway is this statement from the link:

"This partnership will allow for controlled burns in the areas that matter most when large, devastating fires occur — the land next to our homes and our towns. Such fires will burn not if, but when."

Okay, I agree. Then stick to that plan and stop digging fire trenches and creating new roads throughout the pines.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
That bill has been proposed for several years. I think we actually discussed it here. I have few problems with the article. Especially with 2 terms. "Low intensity fire" and "Controlled burns". I prefer the term "Presciibed burn" since fire can't be controlled it can only be contained. If a candle manages to beyond its containment then you have a fire. As far as low intensity I'd prefer "lower intensity" since no two prescribed burns act the same. Some burn hotter then others since there are so many contributing factors. I've seen some controlled burns that were hotter then an uncontrolled fire. I actually prefer the hotter burns over the low intensity ones.
With that said I'd love to see more rx burns on some private lands and even some public land that haven't seen fire in decades.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Reactions: ecampbell