The "Project"

cranbrake

Scout
Jun 3, 2009
beautiful flowers,i was not familiar with them....very nice looking swamp too!i have seen similar fencing around small areas in various locales in the woods,and it was not always apparent to me what they were there for.just reiterates to me how much i have to learn about the local flora.

about the deer-it definitely seems i've seen an increasing amount of them lately when i visit the pines(maybe others here have also noticed this?).a longtime piney/local also told me human urine works well to keep them out of places e.g. yards,gardens.....but i don't know how adversely that would effct the rare plants in question in this thread though,i.e. severely alter pH,etc.....but anyway in case there's any doubt deer populations left unchecked(now that most if not all of their natural predators are removed) will absolutely wreack havoc on an entire ecosystem-i've seen it too much elsewhere-it's amazing how much they affect the local flora/fauna indirectly if not directly.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We noticed many along a road in the pines today. I counted 25 individual plants in 57 paced off feet. Then We found a field of them up the road. You can see they are doing well beyond the mow line.
P1030292as.jpg

P1030287as.jpg

Yes, white is difficllt to photograph, I will have to experiment to get the range of contrast.
This area needs to be "No Mow".

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice Ed...thanks for posting that. Bob and I were out tonight with a rare Monday evening plant search and found a bog filled with them. So there are places where they do quite well. I am not happy with any of my photo's from tonight but will try to find a good one out of the bunch to post tomorrow.

Guy

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Ed, I believe that road is part of the PPA-Pinelands Commission mowing plan. As part of the plan the roadside gets mowed 8 feet from the white line on the edge of the road so a car pulling to the side of the road doesn't start a fire in the dried plants with its catalytic converter. Then in the winter they get mowed all the way to the woods. I thought I saw some growing in the yard of the house under construction also. Also found some in Whitesbvog on Sunday.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
An update for this year. I visted there this morning and found at least 6 growing well in Bob's little cage. As I expected the area around it was absent of orchids. Rabbits are the enemy of orchids.

2009 when we started the project.

IMG_2253.JPG

It has really filled in nicely. You have to know it is there to even find it ... unless you are a rabbit :siren: You can see one of them at the bottom right at the top of the cage. It is sticking through and is vulnerable.

IMG_0146.JPG

Guy

Reactions: glowordz

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It has been three years since I last posted an update. Jessica and I went there today and found no evidence of blooming white orchids. We did see evidence of them but that is about it.

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is an update on the project that Bob started and asked Jessica and me to help out. We fenced in a small area with orchids to see how they grew. We eventually figured out that rabbits may be eating them. In any event, this photo from today shows how much the location has grown in since 2009.

DSC_2412a.jpg

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The area was just more grown up.

Al, I did not see any evidence of orchids.

• Sad
Reactions: manumuskin